Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

I had an XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB video card in my machine that had been running with no problems and consistent temperatures. One day last week I was out for about 3 hours and when I came back in I heard a fan that sounded like it was running full blast. I tried to restart the computer but got no video and two beeps. Looking at the beep codes for the Dell Precision T5400 there is not code for two beeps. I turned it off and removed the video card and discovered that the vapor chamber had expanded to 3 or 4 times it's size and actually broke part of the plastic cover. Researching I found that this seems really rare and is probably a manufacturer defect. This card belongs to my son and unfortunately he either didn't register it when he got it or used a different email when he did. This card does have a lifetime warranty if you register online. Anyone ever have this happen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

This has never happened to me; however, since its within warranty, then it shouldn't matter much at all? Just backup your information, before sending your laptop to their services.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 12:00 PM.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

It WOULD be under warranty if my son had registered it but he did not so we're out of luck. The vapor chamber now looks like a pillow instead of being flat.

XFX_Radeon_HD_5770.jpg

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Did a bit of googling around with your issue. I have never encountered or seen this issue before, admittedly. But it doesn't seem like something you could fix manually. I guess you're going to have to replace it. :(

mYIGVc5.png

#5 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

If nothing else was damaged by the heat I could replace this piece which is just the vapor chamber and heatsink. 
heatsink.jpg

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

You could try, but it could end up being futile and a waste of money. The decision is obviously up to you.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

I would only consider it if I could find it really cheap, like less than $10. I think it's probably damaged anyway.

Edited by WaltC, 16 July 2014 - 07:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users