Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 katblue

katblue

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

My kid stepped on a wire for the keyboard and now when we try to plug it back into the back of the computer it beeps incessantly and the computer doesn't recognize that the keyboard is plugged in. Now what? I hate using the on-screen keyboard. Arggh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Is it the PS2 port or the keyboard cord that is broken?

New keyboards are fairly cheap, especially wired ones.

#3 katblue

katblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:19 PM

I can't see anything broken at all.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

at first I was going to say replace the keyboard, but that may not be where the damage occured. Hopefully the connection wasn't damaged where the cord attaches to the computer. Certainly wouldn't keep trying to use it. If you can't see any visual damage or don't know which end of the cable was damaged, I would use a different keyboard.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 katblue

katblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

I've tried plugging in a wired and a wireless. They both start the computer beeping, but different sounds. I think I might just end up with more beeping with a new keyboard.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

It is probably the keyboard cord then.
Replace the keyboard.

If you have another computer just borrow the keyboard from it and try it.
If not, there are many keyboards available for less than $20.

Plug it in with your computer off and boot the computer.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

Please allow me to disagree, she said she has already tried a different keyboard. More likely the connection is damaged or there is internal damage caused when the keyboard was first damaged.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

Buddy215, you might be right.

Please notice the times of the previous two posts. Enthusiast was probably typing his response at the same time katblue was typing theirs!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

Well if it's a beep error, you can find out what the beep error is
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
When it first boots, look on the screen to see what bios manufactuer you have on the board

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

I wonder about one thing I read the posts and I seen nothing about whether the computer was shut down before plugging in any keyboard. If the computer was shut down and a number of keyboards where tried then there is only two things that can be wrong.

1. try another keyboard from a working computer after it is turned off.

2. On the motherboard there is a IC Chip for the keyboard and it is gone to IC Chip heaven and has to be replaced and that is going to cost because most of them are soldered in and it takes a while to replace them.

#11 katblue

katblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

When the computer is shut off and I try the wireless which is what was being used when problems started, the computer won't go past the 1st black screen and says "keyboard error or no keyboard present." The wired keyboard will let the computer boot up but there is that beeping even with speakers turned off.

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

how many times does it beep?
does the kb work in another pc?
you can get around the ps2 port by using a USB keyboard

Edited by Joe C, 30 May 2006 - 08:23 PM.

#13 katblue

katblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

I appreciate all the replies. I'm going to go get a USB port kb and give that a try. Thanks.

#14 katblue

katblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you Joe C. The USB connect kb works, no problem. So I'm going to leave the other problem of the PS/2 port to the 'omg world of who cares.' :flowers:

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

It may work fine now, but you may not be able to use the USB keyboard in Safe Mode in the event you have to trouble shoot your PC. On older and new cheap motherboard the USB drivers will not load in Safe Mode or in the BIOS. Big problem if you have to go into the Safe Mode or BIOS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users