Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cjsporl

cjsporl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

Hey guys I have ran into an issue with a new computer that I have built. Computer seems to be freezing ever so often when in windows. After doing some troubleshooting I pin pointed it to a hardware issue after Memtest86 was freezing while running. My opinion is that The RAM is not being auto configured properly or maybe a BIOS issue. Any opinions?

Specs

Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA Intel Socket 1150 Intel Z87

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor

Asus GeForce GTX 660

Kingston 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM Beast XMP 4x4

MPN:  KHX24C11T3K4/16X

The only thing I should mention is that a 4 pin connector on the motherboard is not hooked up. I believe it is a unnecessary hookup for this motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

Mod Edit:  Please...do NOT use the QUOTE button to reply where it's clearly understndable to what point or post you are responding - Hamluis.

The only thing I should mention is that a 4 pin connector on the motherboard is not hooked up. I believe it is a unnecessary hookup for this motherboard. 

What 4 pin connector is this? This could also be a HDD issue, however, has this been happening since the beginning of your build? Or after you finished it rather.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 11:45 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 cjsporl

cjsporl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

Its a 4 pin connector that is part of the mothboards main power supply. HD is actually a SSD used from my previous build. I never had an issue with the SSD before. This problem began after I finished the build.

6i4934.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 cjsporl

cjsporl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

I should also note since my power supply does not contain a 4 pin connector I soldered in a 4 pin connector from another power supply and hooked it up to my current power supply. After plugging it in the computer would not start at all. This is why I don't think this is necessary.

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

Lets test the RAM. Can you remove all the sticks, and place one in the appropriate DIMM slot, as per your user manual suggests? Keep adding them until you get the freezing, or if the single RAM causes freezing, switch it out for another one, and test for faulty RAM sticks.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 cjsporl

cjsporl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

Will do. Not sure why that skipped my mind. That original memory test really had me thinking. I will update this post after I have some results.

#7 cjsporl

cjsporl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

I tried testing 2 different memory sticks in the appropriate slot. Unfortunately, the results haven't changed. 

Edited by cjsporl, 20 July 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#8 cjsporl

cjsporl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

bump

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

IMO...you need to test each RAM module...in each slot on the motherboard...individually, then in systematic pairs.

You have (at least) two items which can produce memory errors...the module and the slots.  Which is why each must be tested when a problem is suspected.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#10 cjsporl

cjsporl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

After some further testing using 2 different brands of RAM and using every slot. Here is my conclusion. 1. The 4 pin connector is needed and I need to purchase an adapter. 2. The motherboard is bad I have a hard time believing that every slot is bad but that is what my testing has concluded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users