Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop won't boot to windows anymore.

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 thrills

thrills

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Mod Edit:  Modified topic title - Hamluis.

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can tell me how I can fix this boot issue and get my windows 7 working again without deleting my programs, files, data etc (Basically without restoring my pc from scratch)

Everything was working fine until i started installing "sonos" wireless software for controlling audio, After that i restarted my laptop and started getting this black boot error message as shown below

Things I have already tried but no luck

1) I tried pressing f8 and clicked on restore to last working settings option and that didnt work

2) Starting windows in safe mode but took me back to this same error message
3) placed my windows 7 installation disc and clicked on Repair Windows. I did the startup repair and when it completed what was weird now.. it got passed the boot error message and saw microsft text loading but then went to blue screen of death, then once restarted my computer again back to this "Windows Boot Manager" issue

It will only go to BSOD (blue screen of death if i choose start windows normally) when laptop starts booting up. I

What i noticed that looked a bit off is when i tried to do a repair windows using my windows 7 disc the partition said E: . Shouldn't it be on C Drive? cause i never saw an E Drive when using my computer. Windows was always installed on C Drive

I attached some photos so you can see what i mean and something about system volume is corrupt when i clicked on Diagnosis and repair details from the startup repair menu since Startup repair said it could not fix this problem automatically

I also did this command BCDEDIT at command prompt from my recovery options. and if you look where it says WIndows Boot Loader It also says partition E:Drive. Should i change that to C or no that's normal?

Can this be fixed without having to reinstall windows and lose all my data? If someone can fix this willing to pay you $150 via paypal

3525c3b.jpg

z362u.jpg

kcm6hu.jpg

npfdya.jpg

2u7nbc9.jpg

ettngy.jpg

14wfsxs.jpg

16ja89.jpg

I don't think my harddrive went bad or not working cause on System recovery options i clicked on add drivers and i can browse all the folders on E drive which when logged in on windows should be C Drive but everything seems to be there photo below

23t379u.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2014 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

There may be something wrong with your master boot record. The fixmbr command may help but wait until some more knowledgeable people chime in. 

#3 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

Also if you can boot from a CD or USB drive I would do that and backup any important files, in case your hard drive is about to go belly up.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 thrills

thrills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Walt but how would i backup my drive? I bought a WD my passport Ultra 2TB USB external drive Just don't know how to transfer my whole c drive over to that without getting inside windows?

Condo thanks for link but don't want to reinstall and lose all my files

#6 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

Yeah I forget that Windows isn't live like Linux. I guess you could boot from a windows cd and move files from the command line but that would be cumbersome and it may not recognize your external drive. I always keep an Ubuntu CD handy in case of issues like this. Maybe someone will have a fix that will get you up and running again. 

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

The link is not to a reinstall.....read the page.

Quote   " Do a Repair installation if:

• A System Restore did not help fix your Windows 7.
  • There is no other easier option left that can fix your Windows 7.
  • You DO NOT want to do a Clean reinstall of Windows 7.
  • You DO want to preserve your user accounts, data, programs, and system drivers.  "

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Why is your C: drive only 99MB? (last image in original post).

#9 thrills

thrills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

Thats a system reserved partition. Im guessing all windows 7 computers have it?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=system+reserved+only+100MB&spell=1

but yes you will see the E Drive (thats where windows is installed) . That should really be the C Drive but for some reason drive letters changed and the C drive is now the E Drive

#10 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

I also did this command BCDEDIT at command prompt from my recovery options. and if you look where it says WIndows Boot Loader It also says partition E:Drive. Should i change that to C or no that's normal?

Well, looks as if the E: drive is now the active partition. So, if you can access the E: drive, then try that command.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

Try restoring to earlier saved restore point. After getting to console change to directory E:\Windows\System32 and then run rstrui.exe

#12 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

Try restoring to earlier saved restore point. After getting to console change to directory E:\Windows\System32 and then run rstrui.exe

He can't get to desktop.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

The OP should be able to do a System Restore with his install disk if they have any restore points.

#14 thrills

thrills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

How can i change directory to E: drive? on command prompt using Shift and F10. it shows as X:\Sources: so i put this command cd e:  

and just goes back to blinking x:\sources.. Also i tried these other steps but just a  blue screen of death same as before

Couple of things i've tried
I even tried this software to automatic repair windows 7

EasyRe Professional For Windows 7

burned the iso and it booted up the cd, selected automatic repair and said completed but still now i just get the blue screen of death, no black screen

2) I tried the commands
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

only fixMBR says completed. the other 2 says element not found

2mmyasm.jpg
10wp8y8.jpg

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

I am pretty sure the command is

CD E:\

You need the backslash

Edit:

Can you do this

At the command prompt type:

Diskpart

List Disk

Provide a screen shot.

Then type

Exit

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 July 2014 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users