Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio file malware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seraphim2000

Seraphim2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

I got this thing that pops up occationally using Windows Media Player.  It plays a file saying I need to call some number cause there's a problem with my computer.  I don't think it's actually doing anything, but it's fairly annoying.  Any help?

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 08:53 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

Welcome,

Sounds like a PUP [possibly unwanted program]

Have you run any scans? What security software have you used? Which one is installed?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Seraphim2000

Seraphim2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

I have Spybot S&D, Avast and the basic Microsoft Secruity Essentials.  I've run scans with all of them, but come up with nothing.  I have yet to do the boot-scan with Avast, so I might try that.  I'll try that and check back tomorrow.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi,
Which one of those is running your active scanner? If it's more than one then that could be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Seraphim2000

Seraphim2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

I think they all have some kind of background protection.  I mainly use Spybot and Avast to get malware and MSE for viruses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users