Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few Laptop issues

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 alexmark

alexmark

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

i have an Asus g-51vx laptop and yesterday my computer decided to stop working so ill be painstakingly wrighting this on my ipod so ignore any small spelling errors... ill list the problems first and most urgent i cant connect to the internet anymore, when i try to move my WLAN switch the words "wireless LAN is off" and when i move it the other way i get the same message ive tried turning on WLAN With f2+fn but nothing happens and when i go to troubleshoot not being able to connect to a network the problems found are "the windows wireless service is not running on this computer" and "the local area connection adapter is disabled" so googled a fix for this and i was told to go to services then WLAN auto config and change startup type to automatic which it already was, just below that read "service status: stopped" and a buttong below that that says "start" when i clicked it i get the message
"windows could not start the Wlan auto config on local computer

error 1067: the process terminated unexpectedly "
and thats about where i gave up on the wireless issue. the other 2 problems are something i can live with aslong as my laptop works decently but i figured i'd add them because they all appeared on the same day which makes me think they're connected when my laptop starts up some times it gets a blank black screen with multicolored lines at the top of the screen about 1mm thick getting wider to about 1 1/2 cm from the top of the screen as time goes on and if i wait about 2 mins it will finally start up normally, at first(looks like how it would when i start it up any other day) then the screen flashes black for a split second then my taskbar which i personalized to make it green turns to a greyish color which made me think that it was put in safe mode which i dont think it is because i still have a background which is something safemode doesnt load up but everything else looks normal aside from still not being able to connect to the internet it ocasionally flashes black then goes back to the normal green taskbar then going back to grey. i dont plan on keeping this laptop much longer since its multiple years old but i'd like to keep it on lifesupport till i get a new one.
any help would be appreciated thanks ahead of time if you actually read through that whole thing

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2014 - 07:22 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hi,

If you have the OS installation disk, have you tried doing a startup repair? If not, do you have access to another computer where you can download programs from the Asus site?

How old is the laptop and what is the operating system?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

I bought the laptop used which now that i think about it might not have been the best idea so i dont have the disk as for its age and OSim pretty sure it'd be around 4 years old since it came out mid 2009 but ive had it for 2 about years and the OS is windows 7 ultimate, also i have a desktop downstairs so ill able to download directly from the Asus if that's what's needed to fix this
thanks for the quick reply

#4 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

Simple thing that you've probably already tried, but did you restart the computer? 

#5 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

yeah,I'd say ive restarted about 40 times in the past 2 days trying stuff like starting with last known good configuration,disabling all start up programs,starting in safemode w/ networking,trying to use windows restore point but it seems like i never made a restore point, etc.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Using your 'other' computer can you make a repair disk and slip it into the laptop as a way to try to sort out it's inability to get started?

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

I made and ran the startup repair disk and it said it didnt find any errors, haven't seen the multicolored lines at start up since i posted this but the wifi problem still remains, if worse comes to worse would restoring to factory settings fix this problem if its not a physical issue?

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

The drivers should be on the manufacturer's site. Should be easier than a restore. What does device manager say about the device? Maybe an uninstall reboot and reinstall at that point could fix it.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#9 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Maybe try reinstalling the driver for your wireless card. It looks like there were 4 different cards available. Run Speccy to find out which one you have.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=g51vx&os=30

#10 p5k_deluxe

p5k_deluxe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi!You have 2 problems, Hardware and Software. For the Software, i suggest you re - format your Windows Operating System. Second, you need to re - flow your laptop's GPU for the multicolored lines to disappear.

#11 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

I think you meant re-install his OS but I wouldn't do that yet. The display problem could be gpu related but it could also just be a loose connection or software related, reflowing is a last resort and probably not worth it on this computer since he says it's several years old.

#12 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

so the two solutions you offered are either reinstall my wireless card driver or reinstall my OS, i wouldnt have a clue on how to do the second one but for reinstalling my wireless card driver ill first need to find out which one it is by using speccy then downloading it on to a memory stick and updating it like that, does this sound about right?

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Sounds right for the wireless card. I'd do a control panel uninstall of the old driver first - just to be safe.
The reinstall of the OS is:
insert the OS install disk in the CD/DVD drive, boot to it and select install
Keep us posted

Dick E

#14 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

since i got this laptop used i didnt recieve the OS install disk,is there a work around for this problem?

#15 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

i also uninstalled then reinstalled the wireless card driver which was " Intel® wifi link 5100 AGN" but im still unable to connect to the internet when i restarted my laptop, any other ideas before i try reinstalling my OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users