Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System/screen freezing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pinstripesc

pinstripesc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hi all. I've been having a lot of issues with my system lately, I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

Setup

Windows 7 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Cintiq 22HD (monitor)

Power supply is 750 Watt

Computer is about 5 years old

Current problem: Computer randomly freezes. I'm not clear if the computer is completely locking up, or if the video has stopped responding. It's happened while I'm checking email, watching Youtube, playing games, and sometimes happens as early as 10 minutes into the session. Sometimes the screen goes black, (it does that sort of fZzt thing at the bottom like when an old TV loses reception, but the monitor is still on and says nothing about losing signal) sometimes the picture freezes. An interesting note is that I have my headset plugged into the monitor via USB - sometimes the sound will go when the freezing happens, and other times the picture will freeze but the sound will continue.

I thought this might be an overheating issue, as the first 2 times it happened were on a pretty hot day, but I can't really see the computer overheating after just starting up and jumping on Chrome. I'll also add that the hardware sounds normal, it doesn't get loud or quieter or anything when the problem occurs.

Background: Everything was great until I got on a plane and the Airline tossed my luggage around, damaging the video card (Card #1 - Radeon HD 6870). Upon arriving, the screen wouldn't turn on, or it would turn on and there would be big green bars across it...it was unpredictable from boot to boot. So a friend gave me a low end card, 256MB (Card #2) to tide me over while I got a new one. On the second card I was getting a lot of blue screens and had to really watch what I was doing simultaneously. Finally I got my current card (Card #3 - Radeon R7 200 Series) and things got a little better, but there were still occasional BSOD. Following the advice of some gamers, I reverted to an older version of the video driver and it improved everything, until I started having this recent issue.

While trying to solve the BSODs, I covered a few things -

1) memory check and reseated memory

2) reinstalled video drivers about 4 times

3) watched video card temperatures

4) power supply?

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

What did you use to test the memory? I recommend memtest86 which can be found here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If you have a different power supply it would be worth testing with that. Also open your case and check your main board for blown or bulging capacitors examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=LYnGU6PeONOKyATq5oCgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1166&bih=702

It could be related to a hard drive with bad blocks, I have a test for hard drives which I will post below in a new post. Also so we can see the BSOD information:

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

For testing your hard drive follow these instructions.

Before running this test it would be a good idea to backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. This test uses the hard drive at 100%. If the drive is failing or has problems it is possible for the drive to fail suddenly especially during heavy use as this test will do. It is unlikely but still I recommend backing files up to be safe. Here are the instructions to run the test:

The first step will be to burn MHDD to a disc as an image (cd preferably). MHDD Can be found here: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/  Click the Last version of MHDD, CDROM iso-image download and burn this file directly to a disc.

TO CHANGE SATA OPERATION: (You may need to use your keyboard arrow keys and enter key if you can not click to change settings).

After burning the disc, restart the laptop and start tapping f2 or f1 or delete right away to get into the bios. There you should see System Configuration, expand that by clicking the + button (or using your arrow keys and enter key). In that list there should be something called Sata operation. (Sata Operation may also be by itself in that first screen list)

Click on sata operation and take note of the current setting to the right it will probably be set to AHCI it will need to be switched back to this after MHDD is done running. Select ATA, compatibility or ide mode and then click apply. Save and exit the bios, or if apply was the only option you can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

COMMON BOOT MENU/BIOS keys: https://support.fixmestick.com/hc/en-us/articles/201577043-How-to-get-to-your-Boot-Menu-or-your-BIOS-settings

Now with the burned disc in the drive after a restart, start tapping (F12 Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo), (F9 HP), or (Esc HP, Samsung, Sony) on the keyboard (or change your boot options to boot to cd/dvd first). This will bring up the boot options menu. Select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive and hit enter.

If this worked correctly and booted to mhdd you should see a screen that says Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. You can let the timer run out or just hit enter on option (2 . Start computer without SCSI support).

Now you should see a screen with numbers, most of these will not have any device listed behind them but one number should for example on my dell computer number 6 has WDC WD1600BEVT-75A23T0… and at the end a number in white which is the size of the drive.

Example: If your drive is a 500gb I would expect that number in white to be somewhere around 500,107,862,016 or close to. Find the correct drive to test then on the keyboard type the number in front of the drive (in my case it was 6) and then hit enter.

Now you should have a screen with MHDD> and a blinking cursor.

Now hit F4 on the keyboard 2 times and this will start scanning the hard drive.

You should be able to see the computer start scanning, each block represents 255 sectors (130560 bytes) on the hard drive. What we are looking for will show up on the right side of the screen.

There is a list on the right which shows numbers:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Etc…

Anything below the <150ms is a slow sector or a problem sector. Slow sectors <500 or >500 will slow down the computer. If there are a lot of these one after another (several 1000 or more) the drive should probably be replaced. Also if you have any at the end that were marked as UNC this means the drive has uncorrectable errors and the hard drive should probably be replaced.

Basically if you have any sectors that are below <150 (green) let me know and if possible the total number of them.

If all of the sectors were ok and fell within the range of:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Then the hard drive is ok, if there are only a few that are slow <500 or >500 the hard drive should be ok to use.

NOTE: that if there are many slow sectors one after another or you start having error after error the drive is in bad shape and I recommend ending the test. To end the test hit the Esc key.

After you are done testing you will need to go back into the bios by restarting the computer and tapping F2, F1, Delete (or whatever key gets you into bios). Go back to Sata Operation and change it back to the default which probably was AHCI.

Then restart and the computer should boot again.

(If you are getting a blue screen and the computer restarts go back into the bios and confirm that Sata Operation is set to what it was before changing it to IDE, ATA, or compatibility).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 pinstripesc

pinstripesc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the responses, zingo.

I ran memtest86 and it didn't return any errors.

Here's the info from Who Crashed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[[ System Information (local) ]]

computer name: STABLER
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: MS-7599, MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, 770-C45 (MS-7599)
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 Processor AMD586, level: 16
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8589074432 total

[[ Crash Dump Analysis ]]

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 6/16/2014 10:13:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061614-30700-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x359EC7) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80003763EC7, 0xFFFFF880031AFA18, 0xFFFFF880031AF270)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Mon 6/16/2014 10:13:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) 
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80003763EC7, 0xFFFFF880031AFA18, 0xFFFFF880031AF270)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Mon 6/16/2014 5:56:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061514-19484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x277CE) 
Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

On Mon 4/28/2014 3:04:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042714-22370-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbhub.sys (usbhub+0x12A5C) 
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x8, 0x6, 0xB, 0xFFFFFA8008342000)
Error: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
description: Default Hub Driver for USB
Bug check description: This indicates that an error has occurred in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Fri 3/28/2014 2:19:21 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032714-21606-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0xB4499) 
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF96000114499, 0xFFFFF8800B872CE0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Thu 3/13/2014 8:17:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031314-31543-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atihdw76.sys (AtihdW76+0x481E) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8800A44481E, 0xFFFFF880031BD7E8, 0xFFFFF880031BD040)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atihdw76.sys
product: AMD HD Audio Driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices
description: AMD High Definition Audio Function Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atihdw76.sys (AMD High Definition Audio Function Driver, Advanced Micro Devices). 
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Thu 3/13/2014 1:06:05 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031214-51870-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atihdw76.sys (AtihdW76+0x4446) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880099C1446, 0xFFFFF880031C47E8, 0xFFFFF880031C4040)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atihdw76.sys (AMD High Definition Audio Function Driver, Advanced Micro Devices). 

On Wed 3/12/2014 11:40:51 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031214-19500-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atihdw76.sys (AtihdW76+0x481E) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88007D2B81E, 0xFFFFF880031AF7E8, 0xFFFFF880031AF040)

On Sat 6/22/2013 9:00:57 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062213-21606-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75C00) 
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF80013016348, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002E8F6F9, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

On Tue 2/26/2013 7:02:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022613-15756-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x3E708D) 
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8800768208D, 0xFFFFF88002991058, 0xFFFFF880029908B0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

[[ Conclusion ]]

13 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: 

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
atihdw76.sys (AMD High Definition Audio Function Driver, Advanced Micro Devices)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information. 

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hard drive test I'm not able to do just yet as I don't have any disks. I also don't have another power supply to test.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Is the R7 200 a brand new card?

The crash dumps are all over the place but most point to your video card or driver. If you have any USB devices that you use outside of a mouse and keyboard, unplug them and see if the crashes stop.

Since you have already tried the new driver for the video card and reverted to an old driver for the video card, I don't know what to tell you there outside of trying a complete uninstall of the drivers and then reinstall. If the card was used, I highly recommend you try with a new or known good video card.

A bad hard drive or bad power supply issue could be causing all of these crashes so I would recommend running the hard drive test to rule that out. If memtest passed with no errors (running at least 3 passes which takes on average about 2-4 hours) then your ram and cpu are likely ok.

#6 pinstripesc

pinstripesc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

The R7 is brand new yes, I've had it about a month and got it unused.

I just came on here to check my mail and it froze after sitting on OK all night. I've since unplugged an Orbweaver and pair of headphones. My Cintiq is USB as well, but then I wouldn't be able to use the monitor. Also forgot to open it and check for bloated things.

The memtest ran 1.5 times last night, I'll let it go a few more. I totally removed the drivers 2 or 3 times, that's after halfheartedly just attempting to overwrite them. Would it be of any benefit to go back to the newest driver, where I'd assumably start getting BSOD again, instead of whatever's happening now?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

You could try to go back to the newest driver and then if you get BSOD, run who crashed again and post the dump info here.

Edited by zingo156, 17 July 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#8 pinstripesc

pinstripesc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Ok, I'll pop open the case to check those pieces you mentioned then update the driver again.

#9 pinstripesc

pinstripesc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Ok, so,

I updated to the latest (non beta) video driver,

ran the memtest for about 4 hours, no errors again,

checked capacitors, they all looked akin to the good ones in your pictures,

unplugged the peripherals that weren't necessary.

I froze once while gaming, everything just locked up and had to hard reset. Following that I ran Who Crashed and it didn't have anything listed for that date (yesterday). I'll keep at it for a bit and update if I get any errors or BSODs.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Another thing I would do is run HWmonitor to check all of your temps while gaming. HWmonitor will list the highest and lowest temps it sees while it is running, so leave it running from the moment you start the computer to before you shut down and post the temps you see here. Sometimes if chipsets or cpu's get hot you will get freezes. The same goes for video cards. You mentioned you monitored your video card temps but it would be worth watching all of the temps.

If you can run the hard drive test, it would be worth ruling that out as a problem.

Do you have a different pci-e slot to test the card in on your main board? It is possible damage was done while the computer was being moved. A different pci-e slot might solve the problem.

#11 pinstripesc

pinstripesc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think I've got a second slot on there, I'll take a look, as well as watch the temps. Hopefully I can pick up some disks soon and do that HD test.

Thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users