Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive recognize

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drozman

drozman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hello I cloned my 160HD Hard drive to a new 500GB hard drive.  removed the 160 and replace with the 500, after restarting pc it only says I have a 160gb hard drive installed. I have a N68S3+ biostar motherboard went to biostar sight downloaded bios update and flashed the bios and saved changes. (never flashed bios before) Pc still only showing 160 GB HD. any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hello and Welcome,

The reason you only show 160GB on a 500GB hard drive is because the clone is a sector by sector image of the 160GB drive. You will need to extend or resize the partition to give the full 500GB.

I do not know if you have Windows 7 but I believe it will let you extend the partition in Disk Managment.

I believe the safest approach would be to do it offline using a bootable disk. Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file. This can be done by double clicking the file in Windows 7 or by Right Clicking > Burn image file. If you are on XP you can do it with a program called isoburner or Imgburn. Boot the disk and extend the partition.by clicking on the system partition and selecting resize. Then drag the right side of the partition. You can also use the extend option.

#3 drozman

drozman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

Thank you JohnC_21 Yes I am running windows 7 and went into dick management as you suggested. and it worked out great. Thank you very much.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users