Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows action center flag has a black clock on it and disappears after a second

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

The title of this thread may be confusing but here is what is happening.

Every few minutes or so, I hear my Blu-ray drive making noise, you know, the same noise when you boot up the laptop.  The screen also brightens a bit for a second, and the windows action center flag has a clock on it and the clock disappears after a second.

The problem with this is that I can't catch what my laptop is trying to do while this is happening.  So is there a way to check the history of what the windows action center is trying to do for that one second?  I only want diagnostics and not a fix.

It gets really annoying that once per few minutes, this happens, but you can't catch what is going on because you are so slow to get to the windows action center flag.  Is there some sort of windows action center log as to what is going on in a specific period of time?  Like that one second where my Blu-ray drive makes the startup noise, the screen going brighter, and the black clock being on the windows action center flag?

By the way, this only happens when I have my laptop plugged in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hi,

Is there a disk in the drive when this happens? Have you looked at the windows event viewer to see if it is recording anything?

The symptoms sounds a bit like something in the power circuit may be breaking down. The screen brightness increase could be a power surge.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

there is no disc in the drive.  I see some things in the event viewer, but I don't know which ones is the cause of the blu ray drive making noise, the same noise that it makes when I boot up my computer or wake it from hibernation, and why my screen, which is currently at the lowest brightness, becomes bright for a second.

This doesn't happen when my laptop is running on battery.

When this happens, the windows action center flag shows a black clock on it, but it happens so quickly that I can't get my mouse over to the flag to see what is going on.  Does windows action center have a "history" which shows me what is going on?  As I said, I can't isolate what windows action center is trying to tell me through the event viewer.

So first of all, what does it mean when the little flag icon denoting the windows action center has a little clock on it?

Edited by signofzeta, 15 July 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

The black clock on top of the Windows Center Action flag  means there is a scheduled task running in the background.

Here is some info on things which should apply to Win 8 as well

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-work-action-center

Edited by opera, 16 July 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

Actually here is a much better link which is all about Win 8

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/keep-tabs-on-performance-in-windows-8-with-action-center/

Note this below which explains why you only notice it when power lead is plugged in

You'll also notice that you can configure Automatic Maintenance to wake up your system when it is plugged in so that it can run at the scheduled time. This also means that if you have a tablet or a laptop running on battery, Automatic Maintenance won't wake up you're your system, thus preserving battery power.
When you are connected to a power source, you can then click the Start maintenance button and the maintenance tasks will commence. When it does, you'll see a message to that effect, as shown in Figure J. You'll also see a clock appear next to the Action Center flag on the taskbar. If any problems are found, you'll then see appropriate messages in Action Center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users