Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fps drop and possible new graphic card

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Getei

Getei

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

Hello, lately I have having a few fps drops, mostly in LoL because its what I have been playing the most, i tried two different fps trouble shoot guides, but it seems the drops didn't disappear. 

I used to have a steady 60 fps, but now it decreases for 25 or 30 at certain points of the game, too often, so I was wondering if buying a better graphics card would be of any help.

Here are my computer components:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
RAM: 3.5 GB
Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics
Monitor resolution: 1366 x 768
Motherboard: P8H61- MLX
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 1000 GT1
Budget is around 70€ which translates to probably around 95 dollars.

If you need any more information regarding the computer components I can save a print of CPU-Z.
So, should i buy a better graphics card? I have hear intel isn't such a good brand but I dont really know.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

I would gently suggest a video card of almost any kind. My preference is for AMD cards, such as the R7 250, 260, 260X as these offer good performance versus low power consumption. You didn't say as to the size of your power supply, but you will need a 400W at the very least for almost any semi decent card. You COULD make do with an older card such as a Radeon 5670 or 6670 as these will work OK but will stress your PSU a bit more. The lower ciost of these last two is the only real reason to even look for them. The bottom line is to make sure you have enough power for your system as you plan to use it. A new video card will put more demand on it than the integrated unit you have been using. You may well have to put out a bit more money if you need a power supply upgrade.Sorry but that is the way it works.

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

AMD products are not known to have low power consumption, in both their CPUs and GPUs. They only offer as an excellent option for lower budgets, which fits this person's case; however, not necessarily as efficient as Intel products.

Is this a laptop or desktop? 

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 11:48 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

if you could spring for a bit more funds, the gtx 750ti is a sweet low energy consumption  deal for legacy power supplies and it delivers strong gameplay . the i3 cpu should keep up with it ok. you can also opt for the non-ti version for a few bucks less.

the 6670 gddr5 is a fave of mine for use as an all purpose family oriented card that uses low power, but it also won't deliver sweet game play on some occasions, the r7 250 or 250x is the newer generation of it i think.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=163,164,58

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Perhaps an upgrade to an i5? In my opinion, it's well worth the money. :) However, it is hard to assist @OP, without accurate budget or even in-between to go by.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 11:49 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

oh yes , the i5 is a sweet cpu, i like the 3570k version of it myself. strange how they are holding their value amidst the new revisions of the i5 that are out.

i forgot to mention the 7750. it is about as high as you can go with amd gpu without needing an aftermarket power supply. some versions of it are within budget range also.. anyway, at your resolution of 1366 x 768, you are in  luck as even the low budget range cards should do well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=80

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Getei

Getei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Hello, thank you for your responses!

This is a desktop not a laptop, the power displayed a 500 wat as maximum.

The budget is around 100 € which roughly translates to 135$.

Upgrading to an I5 would be nice really, but I don't have the budget to upgrade my video card and processor at the same time...

What i want to be able to do with the video card update really, is solve my fps problems at games like LoL, and perhaps be able to run games i couldn't at the minimal video options.

I have been to another forum, and a person there recommended this:

"http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r72601gd...

Just over your budget but it will play games very well at your resolution , and is compatible with your motherboard "

He also said the difference in games would be astonishing, what do you guys think?

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

The R7 260 is a fine GPU for you, especially for the price. If you really wanted to spend the little more, you can get the 750Ti, which is better in some aspects. I'm quite sure this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx750tioc2gd5

Will be compatible.

To see a approximate comparison:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-260X-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

mYIGVc5.png

#9 Getei

Getei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

I am willing to pay for the 750 ti, do you think that is the best budget and performance option I have? 

Will my gaming experience improve significantly?

#10 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

From your current one, definitely yes. Your RAM is slightly limiting, but the 750 Ti leaves room for you to upgrade without upgrading it along with other upgrades, even with a new motherboard, as GPUs are widely compatible. Your LoL FPS should maintain 60 at high settings.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#11 Getei

Getei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

When you talk about upgrading, do you mean the RAM or any other PC part?

What do you think about other games, for example, i wasn't able to run skyrim, in fact I was but even at minimal options it was so slow, and I couldn't play like that, do you think I will be able to run it with minimal options?

#12 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I believe you will be able to. All I'm saying is, that there is a possibility you can't use the full potential of your GPU. This is called bottle-necking. Despite this, your gaming experience should improve drastically with a new GPU. What I meant before, was that your RAM and CPU are slightly underneath performance to be on par with the 750 Ti. Obviously, these can be upgraded later on. :) When the bottle-necking components are removed the GPU will run at its full potential, so don't worry about it for now.

mYIGVc5.png

#13 Getei

Getei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

I got it now, thank you for the explanation, I'm not the brightest person when it comes to hardware, but I guess you learn something new everyday. 

I will buy the 750TI, and I will come back later to this topic to share the results with you guys. 

Lastly I want to thank each and every one of you for your time, I really appreciate the help you gave me :)

#14 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

No problems mate. Don't hesitate to post back and let us know. ^.^ If you have any problems, you may also PM me.

mYIGVc5.png

#15 Getei

Getei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

OP here, the results are amazing, never expected that it would change my gaming experience this much. 

Thanks a bunch to you guys, I love you all xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users