Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Came home to a slew of problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 werdnaegni

werdnaegni

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

So I got home today and my desktop was acting up. I forgot what exactly I came home to but I think MSE had an error or something. So I open up Chrome and get "Cannot connect to the real mail.google.com"...weird...so I try other sites and it's the same thing...on some of them. Bing works, for example, as well as most non-google sites. I restarted my computer and it did some disk checking and fixing, for what that's worth. Booted up and still the same story though...and MSE won't open.

I tried to download firefox to see if I could figure out what was wrong...the downloader downloaded...and 60% through the installation download, every time, I get an error.

I downloaded and ran malwarebytes and it didn't find a thing. Same with Roguekiller. I tried opening FFXIV just to see if anything would work, and it said it couldn't download the patch.

Any game I try to open in Steam messes up in some way. Mount and Blade for example say "Audio system was not initialized correctly" and Civ V gives a steam error or "Failed to start game (unknown error)". Path of exile works fine except it has no sound and says "No audio driver detected" when I open up sound option.

I'll edit as I mess around more and find out what else it's doing, but I am so stumped right now. I NEVER get viruses or software-based computer problems. I'm a very safe user and this is just way out there for me. I'm lost. Thank you!

Edit: I also got a bunch of 'class not registered' errors when installing both malwarebytes and spybot.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 July 2014 - 06:53 PM.
Moved to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Would you tell us your operating System ..

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
  • Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Here's the log. If it means anything, the rkill program didn't just flash. it went through a bunch of stuff. I can give you that log too if you want. Thanks.

Spoiler

Edited by werdnaegni, 15 July 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Yes the Rkill log may be beneficial.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Here's the Rkill log. I'll give you the minitoolbox log in just a sec. Thanks again.

Spoiler

Edited by werdnaegni, 15 July 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#6 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

And the minitoolbox log:

Spoiler

Edited by werdnaegni, 15 July 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Spoiler
Click the top row left most icon. That toggles the editor

Click the op row 3rd icon (Special BB Code)

In the Select  menu click Spoiler

Copy/paste or Cut/paste your text into "Enter the text to be masked"

Click OK to close it

Click the top row left most icon. That toggles the editor again

Hit the post button

#8 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thanks

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

There are a few issue at hand
Just update and run MBAM (Malwarebytes) as you do..
I would like to run these next

Please download aswMBR ( 4.5MB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon, and click Run.
  • When asked if you'd like to "download the latest Avast! virus definitions", click Yes.
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan.
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop, then copy and paste it in your next reply.
This is long.
ESET.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
  • Scan potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

#10 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Clicking Save Log isn't doing anything on aswMBR. Any ideas for that?

#11 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Downloading the ESET online scanner gave me "Unexpected Error 2002"

#12 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

I started it over and it still won't finish. Sigh.

#13 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Just to add, I tried opening internet explorer and it's just a blank white box for about 15 seconds and then it closes.

#14 werdnaegni

werdnaegni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

I finally got ESET to finish, but it didn't find anything.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hmm.. try one more

Please download HitmanPro to your desktop.
Press this link for the complete "User Manual" for HitmanPro.Kickstart.
  • Launch the program by double clicking on HitmanPro.exe. (Windows Vista/7 users right click on the HitmanPro icon and select run as administrator).
  • Click on the "HitmanPro.Kickstart button to create a bootable USB-stick with HitmanPro.Kickstart
    50f6927fcd9f0-hmpks-a.jpg
  • Now insert the USB flash drive that will be used to write the HitmanPro.Kickstart files to.
    • As soon as one or more USB flash drives are detected, a selection screen will be presented.
  • Now select the USB flash drive on which you want to place the HitmanPro.Kickstart files and press the button Install Kickstart.
  • Importtant! Be aware that that all contents of the selected flash drive will be erased before the HitmanPro.Kickstart files are written.
  • If you press the ‘Yes’ button now, the selected USB flash drive will be formatted and all necessary HitmanPro.Kickstart files will be retrieved from the HitmanPro servers and written to the flash drive
  • Once the process is completed you can now remove the USB flash drive from the PC and use it to remove the malware from a ransomed PC.
  • Now insert the HitmanPro.Kickstart USB flash drive into a USB port of the ransomed PC and start the PC.
  • During the startup of the PC, enter the (BBS) Bios Boot Selector menu and select the USB flash drive that contains HitmanPro.Kickstart to boot from.
    • If it's not possible to enter the BBS go into the BIOS and set the USB option as your first boot-device by the boot-sequence.
  • The default way to boot is option 1, which skips the master boot record of your hard drive. If you do not press any key, the process will continue after 10 seconds using the default boot selection.
  • If you see a logon screen you can either select a user and logon, or if you wait approximately 15 seconds, HitmanPro will be started on your Windows logon screen.
  • Click on the next button. You must agree with the terms of EULA.
  • Check the box beside "No, I only want to perform a one-time scan to check this computer".
  • Click on the next button.
  • The program will start to scan the computer. The scan will typically take no more than 2-3 minutes.
  • Click on the next button and choose the option activate free license
  • Click on the next button and the infections where will be deleted.
  • Click now on the Save Log option and save this log to your desktop.
  • Click on the next button and restart the computer.
  • Copy the information of HitmanPro_20130116_1239.log in your next reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users