Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help how to decrypt my toshiba external hard disk 500 gb

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eddy omatco

eddy omatco

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

hi guys, i have my toshiba hard disk 500 gb that i decrypted by bitlocker by using windows 7. the encryption worked at the very first days, but latter on

it didn't work. when i entered my password it just loaded for hours, then 'not responding' follows. i tried to format by using window xp, yet it didn't work. now the situation gets worst since the hard disk does not show on my computer but in disk management.. when i try to format, the response is  'windows can not format'. so what might be the problem? and what is the possible solution?? can i have my data back??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hello and Welcome

This will delete any data on the drive.

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file and boot. Do a quick wipe of the drive. Then partition and format ntfs. Make sure you are doing this to the external as the naming convention on the linux disk is a little different.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

The hard drive may be failing.  Unfortunately when using encryption it is very possible that all of your data can be lost and backups are very important.  If the hard drive is failing your data most likely will need professional recovery.  I have used Kroll Ontrack in the past professionally.  I have never seen a bill for less than $1,000.  For that money you will be sent an encrypted copy of your data on a new external drive.  Only you can determine if your data is worth the cost of data recovery.

You can try SpinRite, but it is not free either.  I do not know if SpinRite will allow you to read your data or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users