Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor Drops to Bottom of Page

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop, XP2002, SP3, CPU Intl Pentium4/ 2.80 GHz, RAM 768 MB.

Cursor drops to bottom of the page. Same with the slide bar. Online or offline. On webpage’s or file documents like Word for example. Same happens when using another OS that boots from a cd. This problem started much longer than a year ago. In the course of time I tried different things and searched on the web for solutions but nothing helped. For along time I gave it up, but its really very annoying problem and very impractical because it slows me down a lot if I’m writing something or if I’m online. So I decided to give it a last shot and post my question here for help if it possible at all.

All this time I some how noticed some peculiar things about this problem like initial fan noise that sometimes goes forever or slows down gradually. But sometimes the problem happens without the noise. Another thing the problem sometimes doesn’t occur and I can  go online or open different documents in a very normal way. Yet another thing problem can start at any given moment, for example if I pushed a button on the keyboard; or if I was in the middle of writing and then I notice that the cursor jumped to another location on the document. If I’m online it can happen from the start or later on if I opened a new webpage by clicking on a hyperlink or typing a webpage on the toolbar or just ‘paste and go’ then everything in the toolbar starts flashing. Sometimes what helps is pressing on ctrl than the cursor stays where it suppose to be, sometimes for the whole session and sometimes it stays troublesome.

Things I tried at different times in the past are like cleaning the inside from dust, installing all hardware drivers from original cd that came with the laptop, adjusting keyboard and mouse settings via control panel, reinstalling drivers for mouse and key board in Applications Manager, using usb-mouse and keyboard.

I hope this is enough to give an initial idea about the problem without getting in too much deteils but if you like to help  and need some more clarifications please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

I notice the part where USB key board/mouse was thrown in: Did the same behavior happen with USB key board/mouse?

Same issues with live media and USB device(s) point to damaged motherboard or basic in/out system programming.

How far did one get in cleaning the inside from dust? Ever clean the fan and heatsink? This laptop is a bit out of warranty (a few years) and sure to be clogged with dust.

#3 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

I do really appreciate your answer. My sincere apology for being very late in my answer. Due to health problems and the cursor issue I didn’t use the lap top for awhile. I did read your post on time and I wanted to answer your questions but it was too much problem due to the instability of the cursor.  Now that I feel what better I can put up with problem while writing, though it a still a big hassel.

I notice the part where USB key board/mouse was thrown in: Did the same behavior happen with USB key board/mouse?

Yes.

Same issues with live media and USB device(s) point to damaged motherboard or basic in/out system programming.

If there could be something wrong with the motherboard couldn’t be other signs of that too!?

If something wrong with the BIOS, any idea how could that had occurred? I had never done anything to it.

How far did one get in cleaning the inside from dust? Ever clean the fan and heatsink? This laptop is a bit out of warranty (a few years) and sure to be clogged with dust.

I opened the laptop for the first time last year because of too much CPU-fan noise and heat. The heat sink was very dirty, the cpu-fan was dusty, the motherboard was slightly dusty, but all components were attached pretty good. I cleaned everything carefully with soft tooth brushes and soft cleaning towel, took all components out and repeated cleaning were else needed, then put everything back, turned the laptop on and since then its working always pretty good and even fast. The only issue is the cursor problem. What I can’t understand is the irregularity of its occurrence.

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

I would suggest booting from a live media such as puppy Linux (FREE!) and see if the same behavior occurs. If all is working well (within live media) it is more than likely a driver issue in Windows.

Or cloning/imaging the drive and testing a new install. :bounce:

Fans running at speed points to graphic or CPU heat if fans/grills are open/clear. Hey, the correct video driver has lowered the MCP temp 10-15*c on one touch device.

Other signs of mobo failure:

Intermittent wireless card not seen by OS

sudden shutdown/reboot

graphic artifacts (s*** not lookin' right)

pressing the power button more than once to turn the machine on and/or video to show

I would bet 85% of tech failure is related to heat; today, anyway... too small > heat still needs to dissipate.... not a betting, guy: FTR.

Edited by bludgard, 18 August 2014 - 12:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users