Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remembering Window Size/Position

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cwanamaker

cwanamaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I've been banging my head on this one all day ...

We have a domain network where one of the users is complaining that her Windows 7 machine is not remember the size of a "File Upload" window. If we adjust the size manually and close out, it goes back the it's original size when we open it again.

My original thought was something in the GPO was causing the issue, so we prevented all policies from applying and even created a new user to ensure it wasn't a corrupt profile. Still, no luck. We run into the same issue as the original user.

However, when we log on as Domain Admin or Local Admin, the issue is resolved - we can resize windows and it's all remembered the next time we open it up. With that in mind, we created another new user, no policies applied and made them a Local Admin. Guess what ... same problem as the original user.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this problem and if there is any way to fix it? The user states that she didn't have this problem until recently - but we have no way to verify the authenticity of that statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

This is an old XP trick and I am not sure if it will work on Windows 7. Resize and move the Window to the desired location. Press shift + the close out X at the upper right.

#3 cwanamaker

cwanamaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

That was one of the first things I tried! Wish MS would have brought that over from XP!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

The only other thing I can suggest is to try this utility. It has a trial period and is $10 to buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users