Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Up-grade from Office 2003 to Office 2010 or Office 2013

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beaumonts

Beaumonts

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

We are wanting to up-grade our current Office suite Office 2003 to either Office 2010 or Office 2013.  Our PC's are running Windows 7

I would just like to know what peoples opinions and advice is on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I can't speak to Office 2013, but I've done numerous upgrades to Office through 2010.  When you install the new version, you have the option to keep the old version or just replace it.  Starting with Office 2007 the familiar menu bar has been replaced with the ribbons which take a lot of getting used to for folks used to older versions.  There's a little program called UbitMenu that will add most of the menu bar functions back in the 2007 and 2010 versions that a lot of folks find helpful.  If you do opt to have two different versions installed at the same time, what happens is that when you switch from one to the other, it goes through a juggling act that takes a minute or so.  It's a bit of a pain, but if you need it, it could be a convenience.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

Either version is good. The Metro interface on Office 2013 can take a little getting used to. People complain about the ribbon bars, but after a while you figure them out. I actually prefer them to the old menu bar now.

You don't want to keep both verions of Outlook installed. In cases where users have somehow managed to install them side by side, I've seen it lead to conflicts and issues with damaged profiles and incorrect settings. http://superuser.com/questions/349834/installing-multiple-versions-of-ms-outlook

These support articles apply to Office, but scroll down to the heading "Multiple versions of Outlook". Microsoft basically states you can't have multiple versions installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2784668

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447

Edited by sflatechguy, 16 July 2014 - 12:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users