Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Undeletable File Madness...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!

Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

Aaw, crap. I've been puttin' this off for a while. I've had this little problem with a FOLDER. It takes up a fourth or more of my second hd. It all happened when my motherboard melted... (oops) and when it was fixed all of my files were not on my hd, but on my desktop in a folder called "stuff"... And now they're stuck there. I've tried so much.
Let me rephrase that. All of the files that i had were left in the Documents and Settings folder in the folder with my old username, and not on my HD, because they were on my desktop. Sounds about right now.

deleting failed.
Programs (Steganos Internet Anonym 2006's destroy function and even Unlocker) failed.
deleting failed again.
and again.
renaming and then deleting failed.
etc.

When i try to defrag, the computer says that five particular files can't be moved. They're all huge with alot of fragments. My games are running slow and the computer is screwing up alot. I need major help. (maybe i'll just clear the HD... but i dont wanna have to do that...)
Any advice will be greatly appriciated (did i spell that right??), and i REALLY need help...
And now I'm starting to think its a better idea to throw my computer out the window and run it over with a truck.
Ok, and now i've tried the CMD prompt thing but when i type in the directory (D:\Documents and Settings\Cody), it says "Invalid Switch: "Documents""

Edited by Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!, 30 May 2006 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

Believe it or not, your desktop is actually a file on your hard drive.

Do you know when this problem happened?

If you do, you might try Windows System Restore and choose a date that precedes the problem.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

I wouldn't just delete the file though, because if it contained just data such as documents it wouldn't cause the other problems on your computer that you described. There are probably system files in it too.

#3 Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!

Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, youre prolly right. One problem. My computer died last year. Any way of unlocking it??? The other thing is, the required system files are no longer needed on that drive. I now have 2 Hard Drives, and they both have system files. The thing I'm trying to delete is just a load of junk. I hope. Ah, well, i'll stop planning the obliteration of the EVIL drive (of doom) for now, and hopefully we can find a way to unlock the stupid thing...
And another thing, the drive with the problem was the only drive up to the point that it died and started this crap. I... don't believe I have any restore points from last December on here anyhoo (not that i could, right?)

Edited by Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!, 30 May 2006 - 07:32 PM.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

you can format the second drive from within windows to gain new space, everything on the second drive will be gone once you format it tho

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!

Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone!! Its all over with. That Article did the trick. thank god... Yet again, Thanks!!!

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:34 PM

You're welcome, Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!.
Glad to be of help.
Thanks for posting back, and letting us know what fixed the problem. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users