Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a Windows 8 laptop be loaded with Windows 7 instead?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

Since I have a desktop with 8 already, I was wondering, can I wipe it and load 7, and Linux onto it?

I could use my 8 for my online classes, and the other for surfing and my other interests.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

Since I have a desktop with 8 already, I was wondering, can I wipe it and load 7, and Linux onto it?

I could use my 8 for my online classes, and the other for surfing and my other interests.

There are several safeguards in Windows 8 that prevent you from dual-booting (UEFI secure boot system, namely). However, any dual-booting guide on the internet (for Windows 8 pre-installed) will outline how to get around this issue.

The thing about going from 8 to 7 is that if the hardware is made for Windows 8, there may not be a driver for it in Windows 7. Before attempting to dual-boot Windows 7, make sure that there are drivers for your hardware that work for Windows 7. If you can't find specific drivers, there may be some generic drivers that can work with your hardware. (Plenty of people have probably had similar issues - Google (or other search provider) is your best friend here.) [Here's a guide to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8]

As to dual-booting with Linux, I would say this might even be easier. You'll still have to get around the UEFI secure boot system, but most popular Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) will have many generic drivers built in. This being said, there are still some types of hardware that require proprietary drivers (Nvidia graphics cards can be a bit difficult, but there are many workarounds online) and other small issues you may have to deal with, as every Linux user does. [Here's a guide to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8]

No matter what you do, please back up all important files just in case something gets drastically messed up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users