Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG PC Tune-up has done some damage.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

This seemed to be the correct place for this, but let me know if it isn't.

I've a PC I've recently built, and I've gone most of my life with no anti-virus software (though I have a firewall and many malware and maintenance tools), and very rarely have I been infected.  It was recently recommended that I install an antivirus and I did.  AVG's the one.  It came with its tune-up programme as well, which I didn't understand was separate as it's all on the 'dashboard'.  This thing has nearly levelled my computer.  I've uninstalled it (which was a fight in itself), owing to loads of performance troubles, only to find that despite some message to the contrary it left all its settings intact, and I have no system restore, no lock screen background (though the log-on screen has its one), improper search functions (as in nearly none) in the folders and the start menu, no previews for documents in explorer, and whatever else it's done that I mayn't have discovered.  Most of it's probably a result of the Turbo setting I thought I was trying.

I was considering reïnstalling it and trying to undo all this stuff, but I'm a bit afraid of that given what it was doing already and that some people report unusable computers following an installation of it.

0x81000203 is the error code for the system restore.  I've already set the volume shadow copy to automatic in Services.msc, and disabled AVG Service in the same (although I did uninstall all AVG software, using AVG's tools as no-thing else would work).

Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

The 0x81000203 error code when trying to use System Restore seems to be a known issue associated with AVG PC Tune-up.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-restore-error-code-0x81000203/8d051ee4-1bd3-4ead-8d6e-7c1150bdaedc

Beware anything called a registry cleaner, or registry tuner, or registry defragger. They're just not worth the trouble. :flamethrower:

#3 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

Thanks.  Unfortunately I've seen that page and wish it had helped.  I'll never use a registry cleaner again, nor an AVG product.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

This seems to have worked for some people: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/actually-solved-system-restore-0x81000203-error/80e0d15a-b9a7-4055-8faa-6b8799ae7766

Good luck.

#5 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:49 AM

Got it!  I never set the Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider back to automatic.  Thanks very much.
Now, as for all that other nasty stuff, have you seen any thing about it?  I'm quite curious regarding that log-on background and lock screen background.  As far as I can tell, they ought to be the same.  What I think is happening is that there's normally a brief screen (perhaps when it reads 'welcome'?) in between the default log-on background and when you see your desktop, and I believe that screen is somehow replacing my lock screen (but not my log-on screen).  An additional detail is that on the lock screen, if I click change user, it backs out to the log-on background with the list of users, and if I select the same user again, it retains the log-on background, on what I believe is the lock screen (looks identical, anyway).

That crippled search is killing me as well.  Though I was most worried over the system restore.  Thanks again.

Edited by EPDGaffney, 15 July 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

Seems the AVG PC Tune-up is notorious for messing up your system and making it impossible to restore to an earlier point. This isn't exactly your issue, although it does pertain to your 0x81000203 error code. It might prove helpful, so I'll post it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

#7 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Sorry but have you posted the link you meant to post?  I don't see my error code there (which isn't my error code anymore, haha!).

CCleaner sees the old system restore files, which it didn't before.  Any chance I could actually use them?  rstrui doesn't see them.  Thanks.

Edited by EPDGaffney, 15 July 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Yes, that is the correct link. The error code isn't listed in the help article, but that's what comes up when you search for it.

You could try using the old system restore files, if you can get to them. I would recommend restoring to a point before you installed AVG, if possible.

Good luck. Hopefully you won't have to reinstall the OS completely. You could try a repair install, but you'll need the install disk: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

#9 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

I can't see them in the Windows restorer, but they're apparently not deleted, according to CCleaner.  Perhaps there's something to be done.  A reïnstall of the OS is nearly out of the question, as it's a matter of dealing with these problems or losing a couple of programmes that I need.  Besides, in a sick sort of way, I like learning all this crazy stuff when I fix weird software troubles.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

The files may be tagged as hidden for some reason. Try going to Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Folder Options. Click the View tab, and make sure the Show hidden, folders and drives is checked, and the Hide protected operating system files bix is unchecked.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/

#11 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Fantastic, found them.  I had to tick or untick a box in rstrui that for some reason by default hides all but your most recent system restore file.  I'm in safe mode now.  It didn't boot to normal and instead restarted, but I've been getting random restarts as well, so it theoretically could have been unrelated to my AVG problem (the restarts were chiefly what made me think the tune-up may be nice, so I was having them before AVG).  The log-on and lock screens now look the same, but I don't recall did I have that trouble in safe mode.  My search functions remain broken.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I figured it was either that they were hidden, or the default settings in the program weren't looking for them.

Is the computer blue screening, or just suddenly shutting down and restarting?

Go to Event Viewer and look up the error logs from the last time it restarted. They'll have a red icon next to them. Check under Applications, Security and System. Right click on each error log and select Properties. Paste the description for each one here, and make sure to include the bugcheck codes, which will start with 0x followed by eight numbers and/or letters. If there are lots of them, follow the directions in step 6. We'll troubleshoot them here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

#13 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

I'm in normal mode and my search is back!
No blue screen logged for this instance, but every other time it seems there was.  I'm in two threads on here regarding it.
This is the more current one, though I didn't start this one:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540720/random-computer-restart-with-occasional-4-beeps/page-2#entry3421964

A quote from one of my posts:
'I don't know that this helps at-all but apparently my random restarts all left blue screen logs, every time I believe.  Every one of them is a Kernel-Power Error, 0x8000000000000002, Event ID 41, Task 63.
According to my research all this means is that my computer restarted, but we know that already.'

Thanks for all the help thus far.  I'm so grateful to get shot of this AVG tripe.  I know their antivirus is reputed to be good but I don't trust any company that would release a product like this, let alone not fix it after all the reports I've read of people having their systems utterly banjaxed for it.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Yep. You can ignore Event ID 41 kernel power errors. That simply means the computer wasn't shut down normally. If that's the only error log from the last restart, I'd say you've got it fixed. If it does blue screen again, you know what to do. :)
Registry cleaners and PC tuners in general are all snake oil. It isn't just AVG that preys on the unsuspecting.

#15 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm not worried about it, but the random restarts before the last one yielded that log, not this current one, which in fact yielded no log.
I only tried the PC tune-up as it was free and looked like part of the antivirus software, and everyone had told me how great AVG were.  I'm shocked that they have this reputation AND this product.
What do you think of CCleaner?  I'm using it for a couple years now and have never had any trouble.  Most PC enthusiasts seem to like it as well, but now I feel leery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users