Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

inm.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Elspeth

Elspeth

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:22 AM

Hey could you help me here please?

just got this brand new computer and started getting popups about spyware and a change in my homepage. i've got spybot and adaware and have run them and quaratined everything that was there. i have also run norton and it found a virus in inm.dll which it couldn't delete. it's in windows.system32. i went there manually and tried to delete it but it wouldn't let me saying either the disc was full or the file was in use.

i have absolutely no idea how to get rid of the bugger... please give me a hand!

elp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Plimsol_*

Guest_Plimsol_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

The best way is to let us see what is going on your system and advise you. Please follow these steps:

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program. Click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

HijackThis - Using HijackThis to Remove Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

#3 Elspeth

Elspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:55 AM

um, i tried to but it couldn't find server....... :thumbsup:

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,615 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

Hi Elspeth,
Try this page.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Elspeth

Elspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:03 PM

ok, well i found out some stuff...

inm.dll seems to be virus that comes from a MotherVirus :thumbsup: that is called exploit.chm

i don't know all that much about this stuff but it seems that this acts as a door to all kinds of mischevious stuff. it downloads a file that tries to save itself as wmplayer.exe and therefore overwrites it. my computer wouldn't allow it to do this but it somehow still managed to infect my computer.

you can't delete inm.dll because it runs under 2 programmes. one i can't remember the name of, unfortunately, but it is abnormal. the other is windows explorer. so the only way to delete it is to stop windows and delete it through dos.

i can't really remember anything else cos i've had some wine, and this is all in very laymen's terms, but that's what i got overall!

we got it from www.sexmoviesinternational.com which my boyfriend decided to visit early this morning! i have chastised him , haha

hope this is kinda useful

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:11 PM

Have you been able to download hijackthis from the link given by Papakid?

If so please run the program and click on Scan then on save log and post the contents of the log to a reply to this post.

#7 Elspeth

Elspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:21 PM

no i haven't downloaded it cos i managed to get it sorted without (ie. with a genius mate who knows more than me)....

there's loadsa information around on the internet about the virus, and scripts aswell.... i don't really want to get hijackthis unless i really need to cos i think it's out of my depth and i don't want to do any harm!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users