Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a tablet and printer on the go for work.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HelpinTheGrandparent

HelpinTheGrandparent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hello, my name is Logan.

1)  I recently heard that one is able to use a wi-fi router to bridge together a laptop or tablet to a printer. What I mean is, is that you take a wi-fi router that it plugged into the wall but does not have a Ethernet cable plugged into it. The "internet-free" router is then used as a bridge to pair a laptop or tablet to a printer. No internet or wireless connection is involved, its just a bridge used to link them up.

Is This Possible?

2) My grandfather runs he's own business where he travels all over the central Texas region. He asked me if he would be able to use his smartphone to connect to a wireless printer and he's tablet. Now, I have already figured out that with his new Smartphone, he can no longer use that Hot-Spot feature because of his phone plan. (He is grandfathered into an unlimited data plan from a few years ago and if he were to change plans he would lose the unlimited data which is no longer available for anyone with a smartphone.)

So, Is there a way to connect to the printer via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi direct. And connect his tablet so that he can go on the internet with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:28 AM

1)  I recently heard that one is able to use a wi-fi router to bridge together a laptop or tablet to a printer. What I mean is, is that you take a wi-fi router that it plugged into the wall but does not have a Ethernet cable plugged into it. The "internet-free" router is then used as a bridge to pair a laptop or tablet to a printer. No internet or wireless connection is involved, its just a bridge used to link them up.

So by LAN? meaning with a Cat 5 cable.?  If that is the case then all you need to do is plug one end of a Cat5 cable into your device and the other end into the Printer. 

If you dont have the distance or right length of cable you can use a Cat5 coupler you can get one here, or see what it is

http://www.amazon.com/Cat5-Network-Ethernet-Cable-Coupler/dp/B003IYS8SQ

Here is a guide on Bridge Mode using Cisco Linksys routers

Click Here

Then here is a guide on setting up Print and File sharing using Bridge mode, for printer etc.

Click Here

2) My grandfather runs he's own business where he travels all over the central Texas region. He asked me if he would be able to use his smartphone to connect to a wireless printer and he's tablet. Now, I have already figured out that with his new Smartphone, he can no longer use that Hot-Spot feature because of his phone plan. (He is grandfathered into an unlimited data plan from a few years ago and if he were to change plans he would lose the unlimited data which is no longer available for anyone with a smartphone.)

So, Is there a way to connect to the printer via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi direct. And connect his tablet so that he can go on the internet with it?

Do you mean at the same location?  Or do you mean is there a way he can use his smart phone like a router and get on the internet and print files from his tablet?  That is called ad-hoc mode and depending on the phone and service provider that can work or not work.

Most printers now days offer a App that allows for wireless printing to printers.  Just search by brand of printer in the App store for his phone.

Connecting to a printer via bluetooth can be done, assuming the printer and tablet both support it and have bluetooth enabled, and present.

Here is a guide by Microsoft on it.

But, the tablet and printer must be able to do it.

Now, I think for the last part you are asking if he can, by using his phone connected to his tablet, connect to the internet and print to a remote printer, without Hotspot?

Can he tether his phone to his tablet?  This is the process of taking the charging cable, that has a USB on one end, and connecting it to the tablet and to the phone. 

Here is a guide from PCworld on Tethering a phone and apps that can do it for free.

Click Here

Overall, you will need some sort of cell service 3G or 4G with data to get to the internet.  If you want and can please explain it better and maybe we can give you some more info

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

An easier way is to buy the right printer.  I have an HPLJ Pro 400.  One of the features HP offers is a print via e-mail.  You create an account at HP and you are given an e-mail address.  Everything sent to that e-mail address is forwarded to your printer.  Look for printers that support eprint.

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

An easier way is to buy the right printer.  I have an HPLJ Pro 400.  One of the features HP offers is a print via e-mail.  You create an account at HP and you are given an e-mail address.  Everything sent to that e-mail address is forwarded to your printer.  Look for printers that support eprint.

LOL, dang I forgot about scan and print to email.  My phone does this also with my HP, duh.... :apple:

You can also on the fly take a pic of the document you want to print and print that out, but the age of the phone will determine what and if that will work.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 HelpinTheGrandparent

HelpinTheGrandparent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for replying back. I have figured out that my grandfathers old droid smartphone had a 3rd party app that allows him to create a hotspot that is normally unavailable with an unlimited data plan. The case now is, is that he went out and bought a new galaxy s 5 and can no longer use the 3rd party app on the new phone because too many people in the world were using a hotspot with their unlimited data plans and slowed down the LTE network. (Its like the "network" is the only highway in the world, and the "data" being used is people in their vehicles. So if they all were on the only highway, the traffic would move very, very slowly.)

I also learned that with an unlimited data plan you cannot tether your phones data to another device via Bluetooth, which is what we were going to do because hotspot capability is no longer an option to us. Now our "Plan B" is no longer going to work. I'm at a stand still with this and could use some more information to be able to get the tablet working off of the smartphones data in order for my grandfather to work out in the field with his business.

Added note, We are currently looking for a small portable printer to allow for 'on the go' printing. Thanks for the help with the printer issue!

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Check and see if you can use a Karma hotspot where you are.  I have one.  You spend about $100 initially for the hotspot, then add data when you need it.

Freedom Pop is another similar service, but is more expensive as you have to pay a monthly fee to carry over your data.  At least that's how I saw it when I looked into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users