Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Installed SSD Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 moonflower22

moonflower22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Hi all :)

Just purchased a Samsung SSD and put it into a Toshiba that was previously running Windows Vista.

I've read a few guides on installing the SSD and how you should clone the previous hard drive onto it before you put it in. However I skipped that step because I wanted a fresh start without a ton of programs on the comp.

The issue is now, the computer won't boot and keeps asking me to:  "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

The SSD came with a DVD program to clone the previous operating system onto it, but again I didn't want to do that so I skipped that step.

I've tried booting from the SSD, the DVDrom, and from the Network: Realtek Boot Agent, but the screen stays in the state mentioned above, asking me to reboot.

Would putting a Windows Vista DVD or any other Windows operating system qualify as boot media? And if so, would that get my computer to turn on normally?

Note: I'm new to computers and am not familiar with a lot of technical terms, mostly basics, so please forgive me if I seem totally clueless about the topic. >.< I've spent all yesterday and today working on it and fixing other issues and just need some help getting past this bump.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

I did the same upgrade to my (for reference C855-5247) Toshiba went smooth as glass the Samsung software setup almost all the usual SSD stuff.  I cloned thinking I would use the restore partition then reload my programs, it is running so sweet/fast I am going to leave it alone at least for now. 

Edited by OldPhil, 14 July 2014 - 09:02 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 moonflower22

moonflower22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

I did the same upgrade to my (for reference C855-5247) Toshiba went smooth as glass the Samsung software setup almost all the usual SSD stuff.  I cloned thinking I would use the restore partition then reload my programs, it is running so sweet/fast I am going to leave it alone at least for now. 

I have a Toshiba m505-s4549. I thought about cloning but didn't want to go through with it.

The computer does turn on faster (yay a little success lol) but again I'm stuck at the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" screen.

It really is a pain. I want to purchase a Windows 8 DVD to see if that counts as boot media. Do you know if that will help with the booting issue?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Are you sure you want 8 read and heed the link below!

https://www.google.com/search?q=win+8+nsa+back+door&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

Just purchased a Samsung SSD and put it into a Toshiba that was previously running Windows Vista.

you should clone the previous hard drive onto it before you put it in. However I skipped that step

the computer won't boot

Would putting a Windows Vista DVD or any other Windows operating system qualify as boot media?

If this means you have fitted a new, blank hard drive, then the computer certainly will not boot from that, as it is empty. The computer now has no operating system. That was the reason for the instruction to clone the contents of the original drive, including Windows, onto the new drive.

If you have a Vista installation DVD, that will indeed qualify as boot media, and would allow a fresh installation of Windows onto the new SSD. If the DVD is for the manufacturer provided OEM Vista, you can provide the installation key from the COA sticker on the computer and have a valid installation that will activate online. If the Vista DVD is a retail version, it will be a little more complicated as the product key will not match, and to activate the OS you would need to follow a procedure to get a manual activation code from Microsoft.

It's likely that with a fresh OS installation, you will need to obtain some drivers from the Toshiba support website, although it is possible that Vista may have acceptable default drivers for many or all of the devices installed.

Edited by Platypus, 15 July 2014 - 05:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yes, indeed. A blank SSD cannot be booted from, simply because there is nothing to boot off of. The advantage of cloning, is maintaining the drivers, which is very necessary and not provided by some companies. For a fresh install, just have some sort of bootable media to go off of. Such as a Windows OS disk or bootable USB.

Instead of booting from SSD, you boot from your media, which is selectable via BIOS boot order or some F-key, this depends on your computer. Then on, the media is bootable, therefore you can proceed to install onto your new SSD, after which, you can boot directly with the new OS installed.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 moonflower22

moonflower22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info everyone!

I've been trying to locate the Vista disc for the computer but there wasn't one.

I'd also attempted to clone the previous hard drive onto an external one I had laying around but it didn't work. I had swapped out the original hard drive, put in the SSD, then attached the cloned hard drive via USB.

At first it would start to launch Vista, but then a little after the process of loading, the computer would blue screen and then shutdown. After rebooting again, I'd be prompted to launch Windows normally or do a repair on the system files. I went with repair, but the computer never recognized the cloned hard drive connected by USB to repair.

I checked to make sure that the computer was able to recognize things in the USB ports and it was able to. I went into the boot menu and noticed that the USB option was there along with the CD/DVD-rom etc.

I'd looked through a lot of places and tried different methods to get the computer to work through the cloned hard drive, but nothing was working and I was beyond frustrated. :smash:

Sooo, I've come to the conclusion that it might be best to just start with a completely clean install of Windows 7 System Builder OEM.

I'm looking to purchase this one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1405708670&sr=1-1&keywords=windows+7

If I were to get this version of Windows 7 (System Builder OEM), would putting the Windows 7 disc into the computer with a completely clean/empty SSD allow the computer to boot with Windows 7 and allow it to install?

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

Yes, you boot from the disk, and then run it to install on the SSD. After that, you can boot straight off the SSD. Make sure not to have other harddrives/SSDs plugged in whilst doing this, so you're not confused.

You can download a legal version of the .iso from digital river. You can then purchase a key from Microsoft. If you have another computer with a optical drive, you can burn this iso and boot from it. It is up to you.

mYIGVc5.png

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

As you found, an installation of Windows as originally set up on an internal hard drive cannot be booted from USB. However I think you would find Windows 7 a more suitable proposition for operation from an SSD anyway.

#10 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

I just found a platypus.

Also, please, no Windows Vista. I beg you.

mYIGVc5.png

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

:)

#12 moonflower22

moonflower22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Lol I forgot how much Vista was disliked. But no worries, Vista will be going no where near the improved comp.

I ordered the windows disc from the link I previously posted. The iso way another poster added looked a bit complicated for me, but thanks anyway.

I appreciate the help! The disc should be here Sunday so I'll update with how the installation goes. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users