Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No ethernet cables work - they do on laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Morpey

Morpey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hi all,

2 days ago I began experiencing an issue with my ethernet connection. A computer(ethernet cable) and a laptop(wireless) connected off the modem-router had no issues. After my computer restarted, and I restarted my modem-router, my Realtek PCEi GBE Family Controller network adapter seems to not be able to find my cable(no ethernet cable is plugged in).

I have looked online, read many forums and have taken the following steps:

Updated Realtek drivers
Reset CMOS to factory settings
Tried multiple ethernet cables
Tested ethernet cables in other computers to verify it was working

None of these have given me any insight into fixing this issue.

I have an Alienware Aurora R4 PC, and am running off of a Comcast modem+router machine.

Thanks.

Edited by Morpey, 14 July 2014 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Not sure what you mean by not able to find your cable (no ethernet cable is plugged in). Do you mean the router can't connect to Comcast? If no Ethernet cable is attached, nothing would be able to connect anyway. I assume you mean your computer isn't getting an Internet connection, even though it is connected to the router.

In the search bar on the computer, type Device Manager. Is there a yellow warning icon or red X on the adapter list under Network Adapters? It is possible the network interface hardware itself has gone bad.

If you can, try adding a new NIC card and see if you can connect through the new Ethernet port. Or, if you can, try connecting the computer using a WiFi connection. If either solution works, the original network interface card is bad.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Try:

1.  Open Command Prompt at the elevated (Admin) level.
2.  Enter the command (no quotes): "netsh winsock reset"
3.  Enter the command (no quotes): "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"
4.  Reboot

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

#4 Morpey

Morpey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

I just followed the steps posted and it did not seem to change anything.

Yes, my computer, connected via ethernet to te comcast modemrouter, gives an error message that an ethernet cable is not plugged in. There are no errors or warning messages when I check the network adapter in Device Manager. It states "This device is working properly.".

As for connecting to wireless; this computer does not have wireless capability. The next step would be a NIC.

This all started when I restarted my comcast modem and restarted my PC.

To add: my other PC and laptop can connect to Comcast through wireless.

Edited by Morpey, 14 July 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

Have you tried plugging switching cable into any unused Ethernet ports on the router? If that doesn't solve it, the error message would indicate the network interface card is not functioning, and will have to be replaced. We know it's not your drivers, or the cable, or the router ports, so the NIC is the only remaining point of failure.

#6 Morpey

Morpey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

I have cycled through the four different router ports with ethernet cables and none would connect. There is a Comcast technician coming to check the modemrouter tomorrow. If it is in working condition, that would completely indicate that the NIC is at fault? Is there anything else I can do to test it before changing it?

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

I suspect it's probably not your router -- unless all the LAN ports failed on it at once.

You've been pretty thorough troubleshooting every possibility. If you have or can find a cheap USB WiFI connector, try plugging that into the computer and see if it can connect that way.

If the computer can connect wirelessly and/or the technician signs off on the router, then yes, it is your NIC.

#8 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Have you tried a different cable?

1.  The cable could click into place, but the internal wires could have an issue.

2.  Also check the ends of the cable.  The clip may seem OK, but it may not be holding in place sufficiently.  I had a case where all seemed OK, then I tapped the clip a couple of times, and it fell off.  Because of that, the wires weren't really making proper contact.  A different cable fixed the issue.

Best of luck, and have a great day.
:bananas: :bounce:

#9 Morpey

Morpey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Quick update:

I have indeed checked many different cables, however, none clicked into place. I opened up my case and realized immediately that the NIC is in the motherboard. I am now looking at other options for obvious reasons, perhaps settling with a USB wifi card.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Or install a NIC card in the motherboard. Did the technician find any problems with the router?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users