Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried re-installing the OS... didn't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thatonedudealex

thatonedudealex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

My computer froze up and was giving me all kinds of problems so I decided to wipe it and start again (something I've done several times without issue).  When I got the OS booted back up, I went to install drivers.  This particular laptop doesn't have a disc drive, so I have an external one plugged in.  The problem is there's no drivers for the USB ports, SD slot, ethernet, or wi-fi.  As far as I can tell, I literally have no way whatsoever to load anything onto the computer.  Any ideas on what I'm missing?  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Welcome,

You loaded the OS from an external device and are able to boot the computer, correct? If you can make a wire connection to a modem or router you should be able to configure the basic OS to see the Internet and then get all of its updates downloaded and installed. It's going to take several rounds of downloading, installing, rebooting and downloading again. Many of the updates are sequential and must be installed in order, to work correctly.

Once you have the OS up to date and the security software activated and current we can go looking for the drivers you need online.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

You need to install the appropriate drivers for said laptop...either from the disks which came with the system or after downloading said drivers for that system...from the system manufacturer's website.

The two most important which should be first, IMO, would be the chipset driver and the LAN/networking driver.

Once those are installed, you should have connectivity.

Louis

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

It would be most unusual for Windows 7 not to have a suitable internal driver for the USB ports. However if that really is the situation, one way to handle it would be to use another computer to download the installer package for your laptop's chipset drivers (which should include the USB ports) and the Ethernet (others too if you wish). Obtain a Linux Live Disk and boot from that. Unless the laptop is really weird, Linux should see the USB ports, and enable you to copy the installer packages from a USB flash drive onto the hard drive. When you reboot into Windows, run the installers, chipset drivers first as per usual practice, then Ethernet. The Windows OS should then be able to do the rest either online via LAN, or copying from flash drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users