Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linking two computers directly for file transfer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

My laptop is down and won't boot.  I have another thread started to work that out, but in the mean time the hard drives appear to be ok and I would like to transfer the files on the D drive of my laptop to my desktop.  The laptop D drive is a physically separate hard drive.

I've purchased a USB Bridge Cable (it will arrive tomorrow), but from what I'm reading I need to install the software on both computers for this to work.  The cable I purchased is this one and comes with the software "in" the cable.  Considering that my laptop starts but won't boot, will I still be able to do this?  I supposed it'd be hoping for too much to be able to install the software on the laptop using the cable from the desktop.

If not, is there a way to access the data files relatively easily?

Side note:  I've been wanting the capability to transfer like this for some time, so it's not money wasted.  I'll use it anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

It is probably too late to return the item but what I would have done is physically remove the hard drive from the laptop and use a USB adapter like this. Another option would be to use a USB enclosure.  I dp not think your option will work as the computer does not boot. Do you have an external hard drive available?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'm with JohnC_21 that a USB to PATA/SATA adapter is the better way to go.  Since your machine won't boot odds are anything requiring software won't work, unless you boot with an OS off a USB drive or CD/DVD.

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

I hooked up an external hard drive and was able to boot enough to get to the Command Prompt, then used DOS commands to copy the data drive.  So, that part is done and safe, but now I need to focus on the laptop itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users