Sometimes avast! does not fully uninstall when using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Many anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities
on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling or for a failed uninstall. When that is the case, it's best to download directly from the vendor's site to ensure you are using the most current version of the uninstall utility as it is not uncommon for third party hosting sites to have outdated versions which may not work properly.
If avast! did not fully uninstall, download and use the avast! Uninstall Utility (avastclear.exe)
for complete uninstallation. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page and uninstall in Safe Mode otherwise services may not be reomved properly.
1. Download avastclear.exe and save it to your Desktop.
2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode
3. Double-click on avastclear.exe
to run the utility.
4. If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
5. Click REMOVE.
6. Restart your computer.
Then download and run RejZor's avast Uninstall tool (avast-cleanup-tool))
in Normal Mode.
If you want to remove AVG and install avast again, follow these instructions...be sure to completely uninstall AVG
1. Download avastclear
, Rejzors Uninstall tool
and the appropriate avast program edition
to your Desktop.
: You need to be ONLINE during this installation
2. Go to Add/Remove Programs
or Programs and Features
in Control Panel, select 'avast! Anti-Virus, click the Change/Remove button...when the avast Free Setup GUI opens, click Uninstall
. Be sure to reboot
3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode
- Double-click on avastclear.exe to run the utility.
- If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
- Click REMOVE.
- Restart your computer.
4. Run RejZor's avast Uninstall tool (avast-cleanup-tool)
in Normal Mode.
5. Once uninstalled, open Device Manager
> View > Show Hidden devices and check for anything related to avast with a yellow triangle. If found, remove it and reboot the computer.
6. Install the avast! setup version you downloaded to your Desktop and restart your computer when finished.