Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had to reinstall my windows7 and now no startup sound

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KJRose

KJRose

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

This is not a major issue, but just the same what I went through yesterday to get back online due to a software incompatibility ( it was iTunes ) I would like it repaired.

Now when the windows boots up there is no sound.. just on that file. So through properties in themes on sounds I clicked and the radio button is greyed out for system startup sounds.

what can I do to correct this situation?

Edited by KJRose, 14 July 2014 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Maybe you don't have the right sound driver installed?  Have you checked Device Manager?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi wpfwpg, thank you for the reply. Yes I have checked my device driver and I tried to update the driver but it said it was up to date

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

What sounds are you looking for at start up ?  If it is things like POST beeps these are retained in the BIOS hardware and are not part of Windows and I don't think you can stop them even if you wanted to as they are in ROM.

I will admit that I am not a great lover of Windows making noises at me and, since I play my audio through a mini hi-fi system which is only switched on if I want music, a soundtrack or the radio - I don't hear them very often, but I have taken a look at the sound control panel in Control panel. Mine is set to the Windows default and I can toggle startup sounds as much as I want. It's just a thought, but if you are using some other sound scheme - and there are quite a few to choose from - it may be the one you are using doesn't include a startup sound which would explain why the button is grayed out.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Right click your speaker icon in the system tray. Select Sounds. Under the Sounds tab, do you have  Windows Default in the dropdown box for sound scheme?

#6 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Yes now I do .. when I went into it it was still greyed out.. no matter what theme it is still like that.. hmmmmmmm... I checked the .wav file and it will not even play in the windows media folder

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Right click the speaker and select Open Volume Mixer. Is System Sounds under Applications muted?

Edit: Reading your first post again. It's only one sound, the startup sound, that does not work, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#8 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yes that is correct I can live without it but it is confusing why. It was working a couple days ago.. and the only thing new on my system is windows updates..the startup sound is the only one missing.. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

See this page. Download the Registry file that allows you to disable and enable the setting under option 2. You may have something corrupted in the registry.

If the wav file does not play it's also possible the file is corrupt. Do you have another computer you can copy the wav file from?

#10 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thank you very much.. it is working now.. I appreciate your help everyone. what worked was the link on JohnC+21's post. Thank you for that :thumbup2:

Edited by KJRose, 15 July 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Glad that link worked for you. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users