Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


high voltage

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teddyd


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hello every one,


are there higher voltage power supplies available than those limited at 230V ?


I'm not talking about higher Watts, higher VOLTAGE !



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

  • Moderator
  • 7,016 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yes, but not for domestic equipment.


Domestic, and office type, equipment runs on single phase AC which in the UK produces an effective voltage of about 230 - 240V. The supply is three phase - that is what comes into your local distribution transformer set up, and it is split. One phase goes to one of the three groups of properties fed from the transformer.


You can get three phase industrial supply, which, from a rather rusty memory, is an effective voltage of about 430 - 440V.


If you want more than that you will have to speak to your local electricity supplier. They routinely ship it around at anything up to 250kV.


Why do you want higher voltages ?


Chris Cosgrove

#3 mjd420nova


  • Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Most residential areas will have 440 volt three phase available because more and more people are getting hospital equipment in their homes.  I use it for an old military HF radio transmitter.  Aside from getting the extra wiring from the pole, special breaker boxes and wiring are required within the home.  220 volt is most common and  most power supplies are switchable 110/220 volts.

#4 zingo156


  • BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

What type of voltage and for what purpose? I have used Fluorescent lamp ballasts to get pretty high voltage for projects in the past, if you want to go even higher in voltage, consider a modified microwave oven transformer.


DANGER!!!! I'll just send you a quick warning about how both of those transformers can easily kill you, even the capacitors in microwave ovens and computer power supplies can kill, they hold charges for long periods of time, so don't assume you are safe when they are unplugged. If you have no experience or safety training with high voltage, stay far away from it.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users