Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive that won't allow access to files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Speedytwitch

Speedytwitch

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Please can anyone help.

I have a hard drive that was running Windows XP when it stopped booting up, stating disk error.

I have tried to open up the files on the hard drive using communicator device, on another machine that is running an upto date( well as upodate as it can be) windows xp operating sysytem.

everytime I try to open any filres in Documents and settings it asks if I want to format the hard drive........... won't that delete all the information on the hard drive?????

Also when I try to move some of the programs across not all the information is transferring, so I only get part programs. Is there a better way so that I can get all the information off the reluctant hard drive.......... we are not talking maga amounts of information just some very important info.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2014 - 05:54 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yes, formatting the drive will delete all info. What communicator device are you using? Is it a USB adapter? Open Disk Management and look at the drive that is using the communicator device. Is it listed as RAW?

#3 TheTechMentor

TheTechMentor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi Speedytwitch,

It sounds like the drive is going bad.  If I understand, you are saying that you have installed the drive in another Windows XP machine and are trying to copy files from it but are having problems correct?  If so, you may be able to copy the files off using data recovery software. 

Give Recuva a try first which is free.  https://www.piriform.com/recuva

If that doesn't work, you may have to purchase something like GetDataBack.  http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

And yes, don't format the drive.  That will delete everything.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TheTechMentor, 14 July 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#4 Speedytwitch

Speedytwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Dear John C and the TechMentor,

The communicator is a winstars combo hard drive docking station which is attached to a usb adapter. When I go into Disk managament it stated that it is Fat 32 File system and Basic,

I will try the recuva program .

Thank you gentlemen foir your help.

#5 TheTechMentor

TheTechMentor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

If you end up trying GetDataBack, make sure you get the FAT version since your drive is formmated as FAT32.

#6 Speedytwitch

Speedytwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I have just started Recuva. It says that it has found 923 files but its current progress is 0% so I guess this could be a long process ........ not that I'm impatient you understand.

If this does start moving then I will try GetdataBack.

Thank you for your help

#7 TheTechMentor

TheTechMentor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Recovery can sometimes take a while.  However, it's possible that the drive is beyond recovery using these tools.  If so, you may have to consider sending it off to a data recovery service.  I personally like Gillware.  They will give you a free estimate before you send it off to them.

Keep us posted.

Edited by TheTechMentor, 14 July 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#8 Speedytwitch

Speedytwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi The TechMentor,

I have downloaded the GetDataBack and have tried to run it but the program keep stopping with the message Not responding.

What am  doing wrong??

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Recuva and Getdata back,I believe, are file carvers. They will try and recover everything. This is why Recuva listed over 900 files. It will try to recover every file on the drive. Are you looking to recover only certain files. You can try to recover the files you want either by using the Windows version of Testdisk or it's sister application PhotoRec which gives you the option of what file extensions you want recovered. Another option is to download a small linux distro and see if it can access the files where  windows cannot.

Asking you if you want to format the drive is an indication of  file system corruption. I would start with Testdisk first. Let me know if you want to proceed.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

I would ignore using GetDataBack unless you intend to buy it.  The download only allows a potential customer to determine if files can be recovered by the app.

Any recovery effort should take time...if files are able to be recovered, IME.

I own a copy of GetDataBack (NTFS) and if's was effective for me...but no data-recovery program is guaranteed to accomplish the mission.  I've also used Recuva successfully.

I would go with Recuva as a first attempt.

Louis

#11 Speedytwitch

Speedytwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the suggestions.

After much frustation I finally managed to GetDataBack to run and Yes  you were right I got nothing. None of the files showed up only a notepad and a paint file....... not much help. so I will go back to recuva and see how I get on but not holding out much hope.

Thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users