Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I set up my DVR to be able to access without being on its network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 danjek929

danjek929

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hello, guys. I have a Provision ISR SA-4100HD DVR, and I am trying to get it able to access its live feed from another location without being on our network. I'm not sure what to do to get this working, can anyone please help? I've tried searching for other threads, but I don't understand them. Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add some details. My DVR is connected to the router by ethernet, and my router is a Bell 2wire 2710HG-G.

Edited by danjek929, 14 July 2014 - 02:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

If you're trying to configure this when you are remote you're going to be out of luck.  You need to configure your router to forward the appropriate ports to the DVR.  You may be able to do this by enabling UPnP, but manually forwarding the ports is what is recommended.  You will also need to know the public facing IP address of your router.  When you are away you will connect to the DVR using the public facing IP address.

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

To capitolize on what kilroy has stated you are going to want to know your public IP. You can find this by visiting a site like ipchicken.com. This site will tell you a public IP. After you get that IP you will need to go into your PVR and change the port that you are using (page 53 in the manual). I suggest changing it to port 82 or 83 as port 80 is used for web traffic and it will mess up the rest of your network if you use th default port. After you get that you will simply open a web browser when you are away from the house and type in the IP plus the port number (for example 1.1.1.1:82) and it should take you to the PVR. 

The other thing that you are going to want to do is go through page 56-58 in the manual. This will give you a dynamic name instead of a public IP that changes (unless you have a static IP from your ISP but you will know if you have one as you pay 25 bucks extra for that every month). If you set that up then you will be able to type in something like thisismypvr.provision.isr-dns.com:82. 

#4 danjek929

danjek929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for your responses, guys! :) I've got it working remotely from another location. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users