Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music files in WMP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raycer27

raycer27

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm using Win xp, how do I put a recently downloaded music file into a specific album, in windows media player. The new file went into an unknown folder and I want to move it to an album I've already created, that have songs in it from a previous time, but it seems that I can only put that file into a playlist. I tried moving it in the My Music location by copying and pasting but that doesn't seem to work, any suggestions?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 14 July 2014 - 03:17 PM.
Moved to Audio and Video

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

The album data reflected in WMP...is derived from the Internet.

Beyond that, I can't tell you much about it because I don't use the data provided by the Internet...I'm not interested in it.

The playlist function is expected to be used for self-made compilations of songs, but it doesn't have to be.  Some of us just use programs like Audacity, Cool Edit, etc. to make our own compilations.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

What format is this file, and what are the format(s) of the files in the already existing album ?  Although I am now running Win 7 I never had a problem moving either .WAV or .MP3 files round in XP.

If this file is in some unusual format you may need to convert it to the format(s) you use in your albums. If you don't have a suitable editor you could try the freeware Audacity which you can get from here :-

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity can open / play quite a range of formats and has the ability to export ( = save) to most of the common audio file formats.

Chris Cosgrove

Louis - your post was almost simultaneous with mine !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 14 July 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#4 raycer27

raycer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Most of the files are WMA's, though there are some Mp3's. Most times I'll put a music cd in the drive, rip selected songs, then name the album etc.

Or, I'll convert a Utube video to Mp3 and that's where the problem begins, once I move it to, my music, it automatically goes to an, Unknown Album, Unknown Artist. From there I'd like to move that file and others to existing albums I have in WMP, such as blues, jazz, rock etc.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Did you try dragging the music file instead into the playlist panel?

Tekken

#6 davissmith

davissmith

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

A music file has some details lilke Song name, Album, Artist,...WMP will auto arange your song depending on its Album name. So if you want to Group all the songs to one album you will need to set its Album name. For example: You want to add a new song to your existed album "Michael Jackson", just right-click on your new song, choose properties, then switch to Details tab, look for the Album line (it should be blank), double click then type the album name "Michael Jackson". Now to go WMP refresh your list, it might shows the new song. Hope it helps

#7 raycer27

raycer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

A huge thanks to all who helped on this issue, life is good again!

#8 raycer27

raycer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

A music file has some details lilke Song name, Album, Artist,...WMP will auto arange your song depending on its Album name. So if you want to Group all the songs to one album you will need to set its Album name. For example: You want to add a new song to your existed album "Michael Jackson", just right-click on your new song, choose properties, then switch to Details tab, look for the Album line (it should be blank), double click then type the album name "Michael Jackson". Now to go WMP refresh your list, it might shows the new song. Hope it helps

I did exactly what you said, but when I chose properties, a box came up that said File, Content and Media Usage Rights. There was no Details tab. In the Content tab there was an empty line by the word Album, I dbl clicked it, got a blinking cursor but when I tried to type the album name in, it wouldn't allow anything to be typed in. I'm running win XP, I don't know if that's the problem or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users