Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Photosmart c6100 won't print

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

I had this problem once before. It happened when I was prompted to update the drivers. When I did that nothing printed afterwards and I had to reinstall the drivers. I'm using a Dell Dimension XPS 410 with a Vista operating system.

After reinstalling the software, I noticed a second instance of it in control panel under printers. It is checked as default as it was when I was able to print before I tried to upgrade. I made it the default printer and it worked.

Now, after updating the software, nothing prints. When I go to device manager, everything is said to be working properly. When I right click on the queue, and go to properties I see two documents I want to print. When I right click on restart, nothing happens. There are no ink problems with the cartridges and the printer control panel is on.  There is no connection issue noted and the system is a local printer that isn't on a network. 

I'm sure it's something simple but it escapes me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Two other points, the printer is a c6180 not a c6100 as previously mentioned. When going to control panel and viewing the default printer, it is shown as "offline." the printer itself shows that it is on and it isn't a network printer so it was never "online" with a network. I have a feeling that it being "offline" is where the problem is but as I restarted the printer and it is on, I don't know what that reference is addressing

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Another point to reference is that when going to control panel, I see 3 instances of c6180 printers. The one that is the default printer is the one with the documents showing in the queue and it is the only one posted as "offline." I had used HP's print and scan troubleshooter and everything was stated to work. It even printed a test page, but when I try to print documents, nothing happens. There is no indications that the cartridges are low.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

For the offline printer see this on how to make it online depending on your OS. If this does not work, post back and we can try to remove all drivers and install them fresh.

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

"Use Printer Online" wasn't one of the options from a right click on the Control Panel>Printers applet.  However, by uninstalling everything HP and reinstalling the software, the system worked but only with a download link; the original disk created a printer driver error. However, this morning after the printer had worked the night before, it stopped working again. The print queue came up for this print job but when I clicked on it, nothing happened. So I went to control panel and noticed the print job in the documents queue but the printer icon in control panel said error.  I deleted all print jobs and uninstalled the software again. The printer now works . . . but for how long.

I never had this problem until upgrading the software. After that, I couldn't print. This is my last HP Printer. It's bad enough that they make commercials mocking  replacement ink cartridges which do work no matter what they say so they can sell outrageously priced ink cartridges that quickly exceeds the cost of the printer but make this lame claim that the "ink Expires" so you will be forced to go out and buy new expensive cartridges from them. Ink doesn't expire, people's patience does.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Hopefully it will stay fixed. If you ever have to uninstall the drivers again, there is one additional step to see if they are indeed gone. Go to Devices and Printers. Click once on the Microsoft XPS Document Printer. In the Menu Bar click "Print Server Properties" and under the Driver tab look for any HP drivers. If they are there, click on them and press remove.

I agree with you on the outrageous price of inks and especially the expiration scam. Luckily, I have two printes where the heads are part of the cartridge and are easily refillable. I have an old Lexmark that I have refilled the same cartridge at least 4 times with bulk ink and it's still going strong.

You may want to look at something like this. They are refillable and have an autoreset chip on the cartridges

http://www.amazon.com/Refillable-Cartridges-Photosmart-6x4ozrefill-Syringe/dp/B004C4DCVE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/refillable-cartridge-for-hp-02-C6150-C6180-C6280-C7180-/250297903073?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item3a46eae7e1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users