Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell GX620 -speedfan not showing CPU temp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kenmtb

kenmtb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi-

My GX640 does not show the CPU temp on speedfan. I do see GPU and HD0 temps. Im not that hardware savy. Is there a temp sensor that needs to be activated. Im running win XP.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Some software may not be compatible with the sensor that is built in. Try another software such as HWmonitor.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

K, that sounds like a plan. I did try CoreTemp and the cpu temp didnt show either. Is there a safe place to download HWmonitor?

Thanks

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

On the right side of the page you can get the exe. I believe it runs as a standalone which means you do not need to install it.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

I appreciate the fast help. Unfortunately cupid shows the same temp data: HD and GPU but no CPU :(

I was poking around the web and someone mentioned that the cpu cores may be unlocked, which would block the temp readings. I am not sure what that meant but I can look into it

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I wouldn't think having unlocked cores would matter. My 4770k is an unlocked cpu but the temp displays fine.

It may be a setting in bios to allow access to the sensor. I will look into this.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

From what I have read your particular model may not have a cpu sensor. If it is running hot, open the case and dust it out.

Edited by zingo156, 14 July 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#8 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thank you sir :) I did clean her out earlier. Not a lot of dust but it is cleaner. I have the side cover off and Im running a little fan that plugs in the usb port. This PC is old and needs to be retired soon.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

It is a Dell thing!!!  I have had several none would show CPU temp.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Some of the older dells I have had in my shop used fans with temperature sensors. The exhaust ran over the sensor and when it got hot the fan sped up. This might be the case with your dell. The fan sensor does not send any information to the main board.

Edited by zingo156, 15 July 2014 - 07:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users