Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Device Not Found (Won't start)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hello.  I have an HP laptop, apporoximately three years old.  It doesn't necessarily have a model number as I had it custom made to my specifications.  It has two hard drives.  I keep the OS (Win 7 Pro) and programs on the C drive, and work files on the D drive.  It has 8MB RAM, for whatever that's worth.

Last night I got a Blue Screen of Death, and after that it won't boot.  At all.

I get an error message that says "Boot Device Not Found (3fO)".  I get limited options to check disks and such, and everything comes out as checking ok.  I do not have a boot disc, and from this point do not know how I would access any recovery options.  I cannot find a way to get that far.

This has been a great laptop and I would like to fix this and keep it, rather than buy a new one.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Tap F2  at boot to get System Diagnostics and do a hard drive test. If you look at the bottom of the computer is there a tag with model number? It may be a dv7.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443502&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N147

#3 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Tap F2  at boot to get System Diagnostics and do a hard drive test. If you look at the bottom of the computer is there a tag with model number? It may be a dv7.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443502&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N147

Both hard drives pass and check out ok.

I looked all over and could not find a model number.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Here is a thread over at the HP forums. It goes and explains what this error is caused by. It could be that the OS disk is corrupted enough where it does not detect a bootable device.When you go into BIOS, both disks are detected, correct?

I am pretty sure your data disk is okay.

There are a couple of options available. You can download the Windows 7 iso here that corresponds to your OS, burn the iso, boot and go into the repair options to do a startup repair.

Attach the drive to another computer and pull any info off then do a factory reset if the drive has a factory restore partition.

Download a small linux distro and pull the info off the drive if you cannot attach it to another computer.

#5 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

The diagnostic section of the BIOS says the primary hard disk does not exist.  It finds the secondary hard disk just fine.

I burned the iso file, changed the boot sequence, and that didn't help.  I still got the same message to install the OS, though it tried to trick me by giving more options, i.e. F11... but then would just divert back to the same error message anyway.

What is a "Linux distro"?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

When the battery is removed is there any sticker showing a model number?

If the BIOS says the primary hard drive does not exist, that is the reason for the "No boot device found error". What I do not understand is how diagnostics passed both drives when BIOS can only see one.

(Edit: See if there is a setting in BIOS that controls the primary and secondary SATA ports. Also, if you can access it easily, remove the CMOS battery and hold the power button down for 10 seconds with the power adapter unattached and the battery removed). This will reset the BIOS setting and possibly let the primary drive be detected.

The hard drive may have failed or maybe it's motherboard related. Taking out the primary drive and attaching it again may let BIOS will detect it. You could try swapping the drives. If BIOS detects the drive in the primary slot and not the secondary, then you know the hard drive has probably failed or you could take it out and attach it to another computer to confirm it.

Before doing any of the above, unplug the power adapter and battery. Ground yourself on any bare metal on the computer first and avoid any contact with the hard drive circuit board. You should have a drive cage which will protect the drive somewhat.

If you had an external hard drive or even a flash drive it would be possible to transfer your most important files from the data drive using the linux distro. For this I recommend Puppy because it is a small download. If you decide to do this, download version 5.2.8 and burn the iso file. If you have a Windows 7 computer, just double click the iso and burn to disk. Boot the Puppy disk. Your data drive will appear in the lower left of the desktop. Clicking once will mount it and open the File Manager. Attach the USB flash or external drive. A USB icon will appear next to your CD drive. Click once on that and another File Manager windows will open. You can select multiple files and folders by holding Ctrl and left clicking. Drag from one window to the other and Copy the files, not move. See this helpful guide. You should not do the disk check as shown on page 2 of the guide.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 July 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#7 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I need to correct my earlier statement.  The first hard disk test I ran did not run both drives, it runs the secondary drive only, but twice... one quick test and one full test.  It apparently does not test the primary drive at all.

I should have slowed down and paid more attention to what was happening.

Edited by deltacoolguy, 15 July 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#8 dj107rx

dj107rx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

check motherboard

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

check motherboard

Please attempt to contribute properly. Two word answers are inappropriate and in no way helpful.

Are you saying that you have two drives in the HP? Perhaps your main drive is dead? If it unable to run a test, as in dead? Or the test was not done properly?

Edited by Ezzah, 16 July 2014 - 07:04 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Yes.  I don't know exactly how to check the motherboard.

#11 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Are you still under warranty? If so, it is not worth pulling your laptop apart, as it will violate the warranty if it is still within its limits.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 08:32 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

mYIGVc5.png

#12 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

It is not under warranty.  I have delved into desktops with no problem, but have never gone into a laptop.  For some reason laptops just seem more 'touchy'  I get memories of when I was a kid and took apart a watch thinking I could put it back together... and, of course, never could.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#13 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Yes, they are a lot easier to break, especially when pulling them open. Do you have another computer? If you open up the bottom of the computer and pull out the HDD, you could test if it works by plugging it into another PC. I'm not quite sure if it is a dead harddrive or another hardware issue.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2014 - 08:34 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#14 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

As important as this is I have had two other even more critical issues come up, so this got pushed back to #3.

Anyway, I did some more today.  I was able to get it to boot up... sorta... with a disk and image file that I obtained through one of the links above.  It couldn't find anything to repair, and wouldn't let me install anything, but this is what I did find out and was able to do...

1)  I was able to get to the Command Prompt.  No windows.

2)  The secondary drive (data drive, D drive), was listed as the C drive.  I am presuming that is because it could not find the real C drive.

3)  I hooked up one of my desktop external hard drives to a USB port, and copied my entire data drive, so that info is now safe and usable again.  (Good thing I'm somewhat old and remember basic DOS commands, eh?)

4)  During start-up, I did get an additional error message warning me that the primary internal battery had a low capacity level.

Not much, but it's something.

#15 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

What do you mean you to go the command prompt and no windows?

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users