Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new PC gets random FPS drops

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheHunter159

TheHunter159

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hey guys, I am stuck in a little bit of problem, hope I can get some help here =P

So about 2.5 months ago I purchased a new pc which had the same problem as I will mention.

When playing games, by games I mean games like CS:GO, BF:BC2, TF2 and even old games: Populous the beginning & Red Alert 2, I get sudden fps drops, also my router gets f***ed up when this new PC is connected to it, the internet randomly disconnects for the entire house, but with my PC offline it doesn't happen.

So I complained to the store and after some discussion they decided to replace my GTX card with a better one and also asked to send them my PC for them to check, after a week they said the results didn't show any errors, so I got my PC back and the cpu cooler was somehow broken, nevertheless they replaced the whole computer as they didn't want the motherboard for example to have cracks in it.

My newer PC arrived last Thursday and unfortunately it still has the same problem, still the same fps drops and the internet disconnects.

I called them and they said that they checked my newer PC for 2 straights days, played games on it, tried everything and there were no FPS drops at all, nothing.

They said that I might have installed something that causes my FPS to drop and about the internet they said it's a problem with the router although I replaced it while my PC was replaced.

They also said that my screen might input too much power into the PC or something but I call bullbleep on this one because I tried another different screen.

By FPS drops I mean that I play on 200+ fps and the computer freezes for 1-5 seconds and then resumes like nothing happened at all, maybe I should have named it 'game freezes', I don't know.

It usually happens on CS:GO when I shoot someone, round ends\starts, I defuse the bomb, but not always.

and as for RTS games, it just randomly happens.

They said non of this happened at their store.

I had a 8 year old PC before that never had those kinds of problems, ever.

Everything about the new pc:

- Intel core i5 4570 / 1150 Tray

- Arctic Freezer 7 pro rev 2

- Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V retail

- NZXT Phantom 410 black

- FSP Raider 650W A.PFC 80+ silver

- DDR 3 8G/1600 Hynix

- MSI GTX 770 2GB  which was replaced with Gigabyte GTX770 GV-N770OC-2GD

- Samsung SSD 120 GB SATA3

- DVDRW LG GH2-NS70

- WD 2TB SATA3 64MB

- SyncMaster 2053bw (1680x1050) (I own this screen for about 3-4 years)

P.S Forgot to mention that I run windows 7 64bit.

And that I called the ISP provider (while my PC is gone and present, before the newer pc) and the technicians who came (both at different times) didn't notice any problems, they said that a PC might have a corrupt net connection and it makes the router crash and restart, from where I got my PC they claimed they didn't experience such a problem.

I hope I'll get some help here, thanks!!

Edited by TheHunter159, 14 July 2014 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Questions first. What is your connection speed? Does your ISP require a fixed IP address or are you allowed dynamic? Which DNS server are you using?

Have you run any speed tests to confirm that the speed you see is the speed, or at least close to, the speed the ISP claims to be providing?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi,

Questions first. What is your connection speed? Does your ISP require a fixed IP address or are you allowed dynamic? Which DNS server are you using?

Have you run any speed tests to confirm that the speed you see is the speed, or at least close to, the speed the ISP claims to be providing?

Keep us posted

Thanks for answering dicke.

Yes I am getting the speed I am supposed to get 15MB down and around 0.65 up, my IP can be changed by restarting the router.

I don't quite understand what is a DNS server, how can I know which one I am using?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

DNS = Domain Name Server. This is a server/service that translates your www.goto.com into computer so that you get connected to the place you want.

The default is 'automatic' but you can change that if you want it to filter sites that you don't want to go to or have access to you.

Your up speed seems a bit slow. I'm on the bottom level and I'm getting 3MB down and between .9 and 1.2 MB up. The delay in your upload speed might be causing the problem. See if you can talk your ISP into letting you do a test with about a 3MB to 5MB upload speed for a short period. If that does the trick then you may be in for a bigger bill. Sorry, but time/speed is money.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

DNS = Domain Name Server. This is a server/service that translates your www.goto.com into computer so that you get connected to the place you want.

The default is 'automatic' but you can change that if you want it to filter sites that you don't want to go to or have access to you.

Your up speed seems a bit slow. I'm on the bottom level and I'm getting 3MB down and between .9 and 1.2 MB up. The delay in your upload speed might be causing the problem. See if you can talk your ISP into letting you do a test with about a 3MB to 5MB upload speed for a short period. If that does the trick then you may be in for a bigger bill. Sorry, but time/speed is money.

Keep us posted

Thanks again dicke.

Sorry, I seem not to understand how to find my domain, what am I supposed to write at goto.com?

I always had this speed, I even had lower speeds and never encountered any problems of this kind.

I wiped my PC and installed win7, the same as I always had.

The reason I reinstalled is that I was about to update my graphics card to the newest drivers (not from the disc) and somehow it failed, the nvidia graphics driver crashed and I was stuck at 800x600 with an option to go to 1600x1200, and then for some reason when trying to open the nvidia drivers it said access denied error 5 or something like that, and I tried different method to fix this and it failed.

So now instead of installing the drivers from the disc, I downloaded them directly from nvidia's site.

I'll be installing games from Steam, I won't install anything else than Steam and the games to see if I get fps drops now.

#6 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Well, I haven't really been home after writing this message a week ago but I downloaded CoD4 and ARMA 2 and tried them and they both seem to have the same problem as in any other game I tried (read above)

The game runs smoothly and it suddenly freezes for a sec or few and comes back like nothing happened.

In CoD4 I tried both MP and SP for about 20mins each, for ARMA2 I played sandbox mode (where you can spawn whatever you want and play) for about half a hour.

The games froze at least twice.

I did this after I completely wiped my PC and I only installed my motherboard's drivers, Nvidia's newest drivers, chrome, Steam and Steam games, nothing else.

Is there a way that it could be something else than the computer parts?

If so, what can it be?

If not then what could be defective in the computer that causes it? 

Edited by TheHunter159, 21 July 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I'm assuming that you have a broadband connection. What is its speed? I have a 3MBS connection and have seen the same hesitation from time to time when I'm working between several windows and all are graphics intensive. I don't do as much of that at work, where I have a much faster connection, so I don't see the problem.

I don't think there's a hardware or software problem at this point. Check with your ISP on your speed to find out what it should be. Then you might want to run one of the free speed test routines that are available to see what your actual speed is.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 Jeremiah Fish

Jeremiah Fish

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Regarding the fps drops, have you tried monitoring the temperatures on your PC whilst your run these games? It's possible the rising temperatures are the reason for your components throttling and running at lower speeds. 

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Good point

Dick E

#10 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I'm assuming that you have a broadband connection. What is its speed? I have a 3MBS connection and have seen the same hesitation from time to time when I'm working between several windows and all are graphics intensive. I don't do as much of that at work, where I have a much faster connection, so I don't see the problem.

I don't think there's a hardware or software problem at this point. Check with your ISP on your speed to find out what it should be. Then you might want to run one of the free speed test routines that are available to see what your actual speed is.

Keep us posted

I am not sure what a broadband connection is, the internet speed I get is the speed that I am supposed to get.

Regarding the fps drops, have you tried monitoring the temperatures on your PC whilst your run these games? It's possible the rising temperatures are the reason for your components throttling and running at lower speeds. 

I don't think it's temperature problems because the game freezes for 1-5 sec and returns to normal like nothing happened.

But I'd still like to try this option, is there a software that you recommend so I can try measuring while playing?

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Try this one for temp monitoring

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Dick E

#12 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Try this one for temp monitoring

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

It shows the temperatures are fine CPU is 35 degrees celsius , motherboard 28 and the GFX is 45.

I still got freezes though =\

Is there a way to make Speccy 'record' the temperatures? like minumum \ maximum temp reached and average.

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

I don't know of a way. It may take a different utility package to do that.

Dick E

#14 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

When it comes to tracking Voltages or Temperatures i usually use CPUID's HWMonitor it'll keep a record of the lowest, highest and current value of every temperature and voltage sensor it can get it's hand on, pretty usefull i'd say. 

Anyways, i had been getting those lag spikes of death, but it was usually a problem with the game itself, is there something out of the games that might be causing your computer to hang for a couple of seconds? Like an antivirus?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#15 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Sounds like something to check out and keep on file for when it's needed

Thanks

Dick E