Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk light almost constantly on, computer very slow

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bommelding

Bommelding

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hello everyone,

As can be read in this topic, I'm having problems with the HDD light on the front of my computer. It is almost constantly on, even when I'm not doing anything with my computer at all.

Also, ever since it started, my computer is very slow. It seems like it's constantly busy doing things, the problem is that I don't know what it's doing.

As you read in the old topic, I've already replaced the HD for a brand new one. I've cloned my old drive onto the new one, and the problem persists, so I guess it has something to do with the things on the drive, and not with the drive itself. The problem with the noise that is mentioned in the topic is solved.

On my MsConfig screen, there are a lot of services checked, is this normal, or could this possibly be causing some problems?

9fu1eg.jpg

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) on an Acer Aspire M1641. The computer is about 6 years old and I've replaced the power supply and the graphics card (and the HD, of course).

I've also created a factory-reset disk using Acer eRecovery software. So, if necessary, I could reinstall Windows on my old HD to see if it would work. However, I'd rather keep it in the current state (with all the files still on it) so I'll have some kind of backup if my new drive would ever fail. If someone thinks reinstalling windows would work, I would try it though.

PS: Excuse me for accidental grammar mistakes, english is not my native language :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

The services are checked because they are being used.  If you remove the check from a box it disables the service.

Open the Task Manager and click on processes to see what is constantly running.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

If there's constant disk activity then it should show up in Resource Monitor as well.

#4 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

The services are checked because they are being used.  If you remove the check from a box it disables the service.

Open the Task Manager and click on processes to see what is constantly running.

I've just counted the amount of processes in MsConfig, and there are 150 of them (All are checked). That seems like a lot to me, or is it a normal amount?

np43uq.jpg

If there's constant disk activity then it should show up in Resource Monitor as well.

Where do I find the Resource Monitor?

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Select "Prestaties", "Broncontrole" in Task Manager (Taakbeheer).

#6 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

2uhmvlx.jpg

Doesn't the selected one (Avgrsa.exe) have a lot of hard errors/min?

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Sort "Schijf" (Disk) on total reads & writes. 

#8 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

124j39s.jpg

2d91lzc.jpg

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

- Open the tab "Processen" ("Processes") in Taak Beheer ("TaskManager") and sort them on the amount CPU usage. There could be a program that uses LOTS of CPU time.

- Disable the Service "Search Indexer". Use this program

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html

to do it in a safe way. In Vista the Search Indexer can be a "Pain in the **s", using LOTS of CPU time.

#10 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

ekol3.jpg

Seems like nothing special to me, right?

I've disabled the search indexer, yet no improvements regarding the light and the speed of the computer :(

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Something is using LOTS of CPU time but that only shows up in Resource Monitor.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

How much RAM do you have installed?

Do you have any processes who's memory use is constantly increasing without fluctuations?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Something is using LOTS of CPU time but that only shows up in Resource Monitor.

Do you think something like malware/a virus has something to do with it? I've already scanned my computer using AVG antivirus and Malwarebytes anti-malware, but both don't find anything (anymore).

How much RAM do you have installed?

Do you have any processes who's memory use is constantly increasing without fluctuations?

I have 4GB RAM installed.

I don't see any processes in task manager that have constantly increasing memory use.

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

- Start your system in Safe Mode and see whether it runs better.

- Reduce the amount of programs that are run upon startup. Use e.g. Ccleaner (Tools, Startup) to disable (not remove) programs you don't or rarely use (including those in Task Scheduler).

- If those "hard errors" on the disk are the reason of your slow system the run the following programs in CMD.exe with administrator rights. These programs can check your HD & system for errors:

"Chkdsk /f"

"SFC /scannow"

- Make a snapshot of your system with Piriform's Speccy (File, snapshot) and post the link generated in your next reply.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

I would advise that you not disable the startup programs.  Instead us Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to remove them from the startup.

If you are going to run chkdsk you should use the /r switch.  The /r switch has the same functionality as the /f switch, but it also  checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

I've already scanned my computer using AVG antivirus and Malwarebytes anti-malware, but both don't find anything (anymore).

What do you mean by "anymore"?

Please post the Malwarebytes log in your topic.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users