Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound/Youtube issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Osprey95

Osprey95

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

About a week ago my laptop performed an automatic update. All appeared well until I realised that it wasn't making any sound. The volume wasn't muted and could be raised or lowered, but no music, video or system sounds would be heard. Strangely, Youtube videos would not play properly - a video would load for a couple of seconds, then be replaced with the standard "an error occured" screen, which usually indicates a connection issue. Videos on my HDD and on other sites played perfectly, albeit without sound.

Restarting my laptop solved the issue completely, but it's returned twice in the days since then - each time resolved by a restart. Can anybody offer any explanation as to the issue here, and any advice how to fix it? While it doesn't seem to be a critical problem it's extremely inconvenient, and I don't want to have to be restarting my computer on a regular basis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Do System Restore to a date before the automatic update. Then see if you audio now performs normally. If your audio works as before, then try the updates again. Research what the updates do... being especially on the lookout for updates that may affect audio drivers and functions. Install the updates that aren't audio related. If the audio is still working normally, then set a Restore Point. Now install the problem update and hope it doesn't go wonky again.

#3 balladmonger

balladmonger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

HI I have just experienced the exact same thing. I did all of the above and lost so much stuff. Malware bytes reported several TROJAN viruses. and one other virus keeps coming back. Its not there now so I cant give the name.

But even on reboot - I have no audio.

#4 balladmonger

balladmonger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

anybody there?

Ive been looking blankly at my computer since 15th July. !!!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hello balladmonger,

Please create a NEW topic in the Am I Infected forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ Please provide a complete description of the computer problems you have been facing and include the Malwarebytes log in the post. Also state what you have tried to try to resolve the problems. Be sure to state what you operating system is.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 balladmonger

balladmonger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

But its already been explained in the first post !

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

You need to explain all the issues in the initial post of the new topic I asked you to create.  Thus far, you posted a reply to someone else's topic that seems to you to have the same problems that you are experiencing: sound issues.  But that is not your sole problem; consequently, the causes of the problem and the solution to it may very well be quite different from the initial poster.  From what I've been able to determine from what you have posted at this point, your sound issues developed after malwarebytes removed a number of infected files.  That is very different from sound issues developing after an automatic update.  Further, you indicate that there is still a file that is being flagged by malwarebytes.  Because of the infections removed and the file still being flagged, it is very important to include the malwarebytes log in the new topic I asked you to create, the one produced when it removed all those files.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 balladmonger

balladmonger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom,

A I didnt get any feedback. I paid to have the thing repaired. They uninstalled and installed the audio and video drivers but the problem persists. They are stumped and cant help (but still took my money) I have no records. Malware bytes also re installed. the problem is random. I really only use utube. for audio/video.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Topic closed to avoid further confusion, no response from OP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users