Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen on Boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jneutron

jneutron

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

I have a Lenovo idea pad Y480 running Windows 7 ultimate going on 3 years old. I have had no previous problems with the system until today when I boot.  I get only the backlit keypad and a black screen.  I hear the HD spinning, but the only other activity I can record is that when I unplug/plug in the AC connection it beeps once.  I have tried to connect it to an external monitor but it does nothing.  I have tried to get into safe mode at boot but there is no response.  not even a beep when I hold the f8 key down too long. 

Is there something else I can check?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Boot from an install disc or repair disc and do a repair.  If you don't have either one, you can make a repair disc on another Windows 7 computer, either 32 or 64 bit matching what you have.  To make a repair disc, click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it'll make it.  Then on your system boot from the repair disc and do the repair.  After doing the repair, boot that disc to the Command prompt and enter this command: chkdsk C: /f .

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jneutron

jneutron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Thanks. I tried to boot from the original instalation disk OS.  It reads the disk, I can hear it working, but it shows nothing on the display.  LIke I said, no sound or anything when booting up unless I unplug the wire and I get a single beep. 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

That sounds like a hardware problem.  If you have a discrete graphics card, that might be it, but at this point I know nothing about your configuration.  Have you made any recent changes to your system, especially hardware or drivers?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 jneutron

jneutron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

yes I believe it has a dedicated graphics card.  I am running an i7 intel 2nd generation I believe and 8 mb of ram with a 1G graphics card.  Nvida, I didnt write this down so I am going from memory.  I have not added any hardware or software recently. 

Edited by jneutron, 14 July 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Try removing the graphics card and see if it will boot.  The I7 chip has integrated graphics, so that should suffice for problem determination.  While under the covers, examine that motherboard to see if it could have bad caps (swollen capacitors). 

Good luck.

#7 jneutron

jneutron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

ok I will try that

thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

I would try Lenovo Diagnose & Fix .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#9 jneutron

jneutron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

I took the computer apart and there doesnt seem to be a dedicated video card. Maybe the 1 G video Ram was shared.  I cant remember.  But all I see is the fan and heat sink and the VGA output connection directly into the MB with no seperate video board.  Which means the if its the integrated video thats bad, too bad.  Anybody have any other ideas.  I cant diagnose & fix if it will only give me a black screen, but thanks for the feedback.  Also, I noticed no swolen capacitors. 

Edited by jneutron, 15 July 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

If you have a spare PCIe port, you could try getting a cheap video card.  I see Micro Center has them as cheap as $19.95 after a $10 rebate.  Did you inspect the motherboard for swollen capacitors (bad caps)? 

#11 jneutron

jneutron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

This doesnt appear to have any slots for anything except the Lan card with the audio connections.  I could not see any swolen capacitors.

#12 jneutron

jneutron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Well problem solved. Lesson learned after tearing down the laptop completely I discovered that you should always check the easy things first......i had a bad memory stick. Much waste of time worrying.....geez

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users