Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Upgrade to Windows 7. NIGHTMARE! HELP!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Greetings everyone!

I have a big problem which seems a riddle inside an enigma. I wanted to reinstall Windows (my current OS). Due to problems I had with a few errors I had to revert back to my old trusty Windows XP. Windows XP installed okay but then problems presented themselves.

In order to upgrade from Windows XP you must have Service Pack 2 installed. However. it won't upgrade because the system has IE6 and won't let me get on the Microsoft website to get the SP because it says the browser is outdated!!!

I cannot install a new browser such as FireFox or upgrade to a newer version of IE because Service Pack 2 is not installed! So, I have a chicken and egg scenario.

Other points:

When I try to click on for updates the browser (IE) gives me an error message.

I cannot click on automatic updates if they arise because the screen resolution is not giving me the taskbar at the bottom!!!

1. Is there another way of installing Windows 7 and bypassing the upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or greater?

2. Is there another way of getting Service Packs for Windows XP online without the Microsoft site? (because I cannot get on it!!)

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thank you!

Jake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

I had a problem of not being able to update on a fresh XP install. It was related to the Windows update agent. But, I was installing a slipstreamed version of XP SP3.

I would try doing this if you do not have access to another computer.  If you do, just download the standalone version I linked to below and copy it to the XP computer via a USB flash drive.

Download Puppy v 5.2.8. Burn the iso with either Imgburn or Isoburner. If using Imgburn, make sure you opt out of any optional software. Boot Puppy and connect to the internet either with Ethernet which would be the easiest or follow the wireless wizard to connect.  Download the standalone version of SP2 to your hard drive. Reboot and install.

Here is the standalone version of SP2.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

According to Microsoft: "To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.  A custom installation is more complex, and it can sometimes take a couple of hours to complete".

IMHO, just wipe the drive, and start it on a clean, formatted HDD, installing Windows 7.

Link for above statement: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Best of luck!

:bananas: :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 14 July 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,436 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

scotty_ncc1701 is correct on this. Do it on a clean drive. If you are trying to do this because you only have the upgrade version of Windows 7, you can still install it on a clean drive using the following method.

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

This isn't to address your current problem, but...

Have you downloaded and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to be sure your computer will be compatible with this upgrade?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

I am delighted to say that everthing has been dealt with.   The link from John C allowed me to upgrade farily successfully (although I did get error messages but after a while they went).

The system so far seems okay.   By the way I must ask this:

If the problem comes backn again and I need to completely format the disk can someone tell me how to do it?  (this is to prevent installing SP2 to upgrade to W7).

Thank you for the input from the members of BC it has been much appreciated!

Best wishes to all

Jake Shiraz

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,436 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the update.

You should be able to format with the Windows 7 install disk. See this tutorial. You can start at the point it says

"At this screen press (SHIFT + F10) to open a command prompt window:"

If you cannot do this, then you can create a clean drive using the bootable version of Parttion Wizard to delete all partitions and reformat. You would need to burn the iso or use the iso and Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#8 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello John

Thank you for your patience and information which you provided.  It has been a great help!   Nice to see my trust W7 running smoothy.   Would not have done it without the link you gave me.

On another note:

When presented with the 2 options to install Windows 7 (upgrade or delete disk) etc. what is the purpose of doing a format of the drive?   Isn't it the same if you just press the option to delete everything and start fresh?

Thank you

Jake

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,436 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

I am not 100% but if a person had Vista, an inplace upgrade could be done. Not so with XP. With XP the disk is deleted which is the same as format I would guess. If it gives you that option (delete disk) I would use that. No reason to use the bootable disk to format the drive.

From the times I installed Windows 7, I don't remember those options but memory isn't what it used to be either. :-)

I like to wipe the drive first and then install but that's just my personal perference.

You might find this page helpful on the different installs.

#10 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

hi John

Many thanks for the input.  I did actually delete the drive and started again.  So far it's running as smooth as silk.  At least with the help you provided if I get into that situation again I will be able, thank God, to pull myself out of the water.

Why do computers go wrong when the need them the most!

Thank you

Jake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users