Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Acer Aspire black screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pirategoat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

I have an Acer Aspire V5-122P-0643 notebook. Last week I had an issue where the touch screen and both USB ports stopped working. I restarted the device and they worked again. Tonight the touch screen and USB ports stopped working again, so I shut down the device and now it gives me the black screen every time I try to power it on. No Acer logo or anything, just the black screen. The blue power light is lit and it sounds like the fan repeatedly starts and stops running.

I have read about flashing the BIOS, but I'm not sure exactly what steps to take and will it even work if the USB ports are nonfunctional? What should I do and are the malfunctioning touch screen and USB ports related to the black screen issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Visually inspect all of your USB ports for damaged or shorting pins. A shorting USB port could cause this issue. The touch screen may operate from an embedded usb bus as well as your webcam/touchpad. Remove all devices connected to the usb ports of the computer.

It could be the touch screen/digitizer that is failing and causing a no post, since the digitizer was not working it might lead toward that assumption. Unfortunately to test this would require a tear down of the lcd assembly to disconnect it... We will worry about this latter. If there are no shorting pins in any USB port, move on.

If you can get access to the ram, remove all but 1 stick and try that stick in all slots, if you have more than one stick and the first didn't work in any slot, swap it with another stick and try that one in each slot. REMOVE ALL POWER when swapping or moving/removing ram.

If you have access to the bios battery from the bottom, remove your main battery, and remove the cmos battery to reset the cmos. I will look into your model a bit and let you know if there are any other simple diagnostic steps to take.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users