Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive failing?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 petehouf

petehouf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

It all started years ago when I noticed it. My computer would sometimes become very slow for no apparent reason, and would feel like the boot times and opening programs would take forever. (Was never a virus since I take a lot of security measures) Then all of a sudden after hours of it happening, it would go fast again like nothing ever happened in the first place. Also when I try to boot while this happens, it makes me log onto my only user account instead of logging in automatically. The next slowdown might happen again after weeks or months.

Now the very weird thing happened about 2-3 days ago. BSOD happened constantly when I try to use the computer after it boots up. This has been happening every day. When it boots, it probably takes 10 minutes. Maybe more. When it's booting, that Windows logo shows up, then shows a black screen which can take up to 10 minutes. Sometimes the cursor would show, and sometimes it would disappear until it finished booting. Pitch black.

After a lot of blue screens, it would restart, and after one of the restarts, it automatically ran CHKDSK while booting. There were a few errors, and I think they said deleting corrupt attribute 128.

I put my important files in my second hard drive, then did a clean install of Windows 7 to see if it would fix it, and sadly it stayed the same.

Before writing this thread, while booting up, it said "monitor going to sleep" I had to force a restart to work again.

After several reboots later, only about 2-3 minutes passed and looked at the screen and saw that Windows booted fast. I couldn't believe it, so I restarted again to see if it worked normally again. Took about 10 minutes :(

When trying to use the computer, it would alternate between going fast, or freezing and going very slow. Mostly goes slow.

This hard drive lasted since 2008. Should I buy another one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

Hello,

Let's start with speccy report.. Please run and share..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#3 petehouf

petehouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

Hard with the BSOD and freezing, but I'll try. I have to cross my fingers.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

IMO if the drive has been used regularly since 06 it is past time for a change, drives are very cheap theses days it will also give peace of mind!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

You can check the hard drive with Seatools for DOS. Burn the iso file and boot the CD. You may have to change from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS in order for Seatools to detect the drive.

As a side note, I have never had a hard drive go bad on me. In fact, the hard drive on this computer is over 11 years old (pretty much daily use). Of course, hard drives today IMHO are nowhere near the quality they once were.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#6 petehouf

petehouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I can't believe I forgot this. In the first day this all started happening, I kept getting an error message that wouldn't allow me to boot. I think it said something like the boot device is not working and to select the proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. Then out of nowhere, the error message disappeared and allowed me to boot again.

Gonna try and run speccy now. Hope it turns on quick.

Edited by petehouf, 14 July 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Speccy usually is pretty quick to run.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 petehouf

petehouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Sorry that it took so long. Finally got my Speccy report. For some reason, everything is running normally again, after the nightmare it made me go through before. I only installed basic things that would up my security, nothing serious yet. I installed all the Windows updates, but randomly it showed 60 updates yesterday, and it would either not install it properly, or it would fail and revert them. took about 3+ hours.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oCzQe6QZ5kN4SpoqzKk7xEY

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

If you have not already done so, you need to run the SeaTools on your hdd which contains the operating system, the C: drive.

Edited by dc3, 17 July 2014 - 08:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

FWIW:  Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

Louis

#11 petehouf

petehouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

I ran seatools, and the test results of both the short and long tests failed. Error message popped up after the scan saying something about bad sectors being hard to read. I guess the hard drive was the culprit for the slowdowns all these years? If I do need a replacement hard drive, I want to thank you all for helping me figure out what was happening.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Bad sectors and slow sectors can cause serious slow downs in windows. I would highly recommend replacing your hard drive asap due to the failure on the seatools test.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

The scans are conclusive, it time to get your important data backed up on removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs, etc.

I would suggest that you make this a priority as it could fail at any time.  

You have done the installation before, so you know the routine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users