Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace LM17MQ 64bit with 32bit?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

I am having trouble finding information on replacing a distro in Linux Mint17 on my Windows XP  machine.  I was advised to go to 32bit and am having some issues anyhow that might be corrected by re-installing.  I just don't understand all the jargon that is in the Installer, it is quite different than the original install.  Don't really want  complicated diirections including the Terminal, just want to get installed via the installer if that is possible.  Here is the point that I have gotten to in this screenshot.  As seen I had chosen the /dev/sda5 ext4

Really interested in which option I need to choose in "Device for Bootloader Installation" Bar?

Screenshot--dev-sda-GParted_zps573aa043.

Screenshot-1_zps4426942b.png

Edited by pcpunk, 13 July 2014 - 10:55 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Your partitioning looks fine. Go ahead install to /dev/sda5

Before installing Linux.

1 Plug in any printers and scanners.

2 Be online.  Optional

3 Select the install 3rd party apps buttons and the Live update button, This will update your Linux with the latest versions. Optional

4 When prompted reboot your pc booting into Linux.

At this point you should have a working dual booting machine.

Sorry now some Terminal ( secret code) stuff. Do not worry this is easy just copy and paste anything I make Bold

Now that your new Linux Mint has booted some house keeping.

1. Open Terminal ( sorry) and copy and paste sudo ufw enable  and hit enter, You will need your password here enter it and hit enter. This will enable your firewall and make it auto start each time you boot up.

2. Also copy and paste this into terminal sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade this will reupdate Mint, When prompted about continue yes or no hit yes and wait till its done. That's it for now, Do just these things nothing else and then we can concentrate on setting Linux up Lets do this 1 step at a time in the correct order.

When you are done please reply here for more instructions.  For now during install can you set it to require password at log in, But do not encrypt your drive.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 July 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Gotcha Nick! thanks again for all your time.  I should tell you my biggest mistake: I did not check the sum of the 64bitMate OS I installed as I did not know of this upon installation!?  I just checked it as I was suspect with all these issues and it was wrong.  Surely this would account for all the issues I've had, OMG on me lol.  Sorry, I just did not read that info in the beggining.  I belive this is why I have not been able to use the terminal also, it did work a few times but sometimes not at all.  I must have downloaded that at the library in question.

I am going to work on the install now though I still don't know exactly how to do it.  What I did last night was to choose the LinuxMint64bit in the first pain that has all the partitions, and clicked Install but got a error message and could not get a screenshot.  I will provide one this time if it happens again. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Since you are dual-booting, the boot-loader should go on /dev/sda itself. Yes?

Your partitioning looks fine. Go ahead install to /dev/sda5  I tried this as stated above but did not work, I will try again and post a screenshot.

Before installing Linux.

1 Plug in any printers and scanners.

2 Be online.  Optional

3 Select the install 3rd party apps buttons and the Live update button, This will update your Linux with the latest versions. Optional  Optional is good cause it does not exist with the Installer!

I should also mention that I clicked on the "munus" button right next to the "Change" button the other night.  I don't know that this did anything but I want to include everything I have done.  Why did I do this, frustration!  I cannot find any info anywhere on how to do the things I want to do.  Even if I buy a bood I can't be sure it will have what I want in it.  It has been absolutely madening not being able to find such fundamental info. to install LinuxMint over an existing Mint.  I am going to get a book once I can find one that has what I want.

Edited by pcpunk, 14 July 2014 - 02:22 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Nick, this is not related to this issue but I want to show you incase it is of importance.  This is happening on starup of LiveCD.  I am thinking it will go away after Install.  I did something last night that caused this but can't remeber what? Things wern't working so well last night, so I cannot pinpoint this.

Screenshot_zps900d9b09.png

Edited by pcpunk, 14 July 2014 - 01:47 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Here is what happened last night as it did just now when I tried to "Install" again.  I don't think this is right,  I think the boot loader device should be choosen as /dev/sda5 also but what the heck do I know lol.  I cannot find this info. anywhere, the only thing I do know is that it can be done, from what I have read anyhow.

Screenshot_zps766e6e6e.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

You need to select ''/'' for the ''mount point'' option, to set the partition to root.

Edited by Al1000, 14 July 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

You need to select ''/'' for the ''mount point'' option, to set the partition to root.

Yeah I can see that Al1000, waiting on Nick to guide me if possible.  You are not saying how to do this though?  It seems to me that it would have to be done for /dev/sda5, so I can just highlight that and choose the "/" in the "Mount Point" option?

I have made a mess of this, I could not get help so I was playing around with it and choose the "minus" button at the "Change" Function.  I am quite sure that I deleted something and I am guessing that was what removed this.  I don't know why it did not remove the whole thing though as that is what it does normally.  I have been watching vids at youtube but still not grasping all of this 100%.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Al1000's advice is correct. 

pcpunk, what you need to do is select the Linux Mint partition, click "Change" (beside of the -/+ symbols), the partition size will be shown. You don't need to change that. There, you'll see a drop down list. Select this to be the "/" partition. There will be another option, to select the formatting, choose the default, which should already be there, ext4. Be sure to check the option "Format this Partition" & OK. Since the swap is already allocated, it's probably OK, but you still need to check, Don't Assume. 

On that Swap partition, click onto that & Change. But don't change anything, just make sure in the drop down list that "swap area" is selected & click OK. 

You can now go through the rest of the motions for your Linux Mint install. 

I'll be here for awhile, so yell if you need me. 

Good Luck, I'm confident you can complete this task. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 July 2014 - 10:27 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Nick, this is not related to this issue but I want to show you incase it is of importance.  This is happening on starup of LiveCD.  I am thinking it will go away after Install.  I did something last night that caused this but can't remeber what? Things wern't working so well last night, so I cannot pinpoint this.

Screenshot_zps900d9b09.png

Don't worry about this, just close the boxes (the video that Nick linked you showed this) & run the install. 

And as long as you downloaded the 32 bit version of Linux Mint "Mate", all is fine. Otherwise you'd not have gotten as far as you have. 

Didn't the last dual boot of Linux MInt & XP run fine?  :question:

You have the instructions, Just Do It.  :)

Fearing messing up is a lot of your issue today. Let's get this show on the road, you've had at least two weeks of one on one instruction with Nick & Kasou, with Al1000 & myself throwing in an assist. Plenty enough to complete a simple install, then follow Nick's suggestions about enabling the Firewall (sudo ufw enable) from the Terminal. Then again through the Terminal, "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade". 

Lets get it done & call it a night. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 July 2014 - 10:35 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Al1000's advice is correct. 

pcpunk, what you need to do is select the Linux Mint partition, click "Change" (beside of the -/+ symbols), the partition size will be shown. You don't need to change that. There, you'll see a drop down list. Select this to be the "/" partition. There will be another option, to select the formatting, choose the default, which should already be there, ext4. Be sure to check the option "Format this Partition"  I have already got things up and running but did not select "OK" at this time because I did not know lol.  I did set to Root and ext4 then Installed. & OK. Since the swap is already allocated, it's probably OK, but you still need to check, Don't Assume. 

On that Swap partition, click onto that & Change. But don't change anything, just make sure in the drop down list that "swap area" is selected & click OK. 

I did not do this as it was Swap already?

You can now go through the rest of the motions for your Linux Mint install. 

I'll be here for awhile, so yell if you need me. 

Good Luck, I'm confident you can complete this task. 

Cat

I have not done the firewall and the other thing yet.  I don't even know if I need the other thing, what is it.  After install it went and downloaded/installed a bunch of stuff.  I am quite impressed that ALL my settings were saved, but, had to redownload Cromium and Google Chrome.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

One last thing, let's not make the same mistake made in Post #18 over here. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539769/cool-i-just-installed-xfce-into-mint17/page-2

Yes Nick I did create a Password for Login, but perhaps I choose for it to not be required at startup? I don't remember but it does not come up at startup it only comes up when admin is needed.  

Did you fix this on the new install? 

I have not done the firewall and the other thing yet. 

You need the Firewall enabled, especially being that you use Public connections. It wouldn't hurt to run the other command either, to be on the safe side. 

What concerns me, is if any of the 64 bit packages were saved. You don't want those left over, but then again, they may not harm anything. You'll see once you start using it. 

Now, I'm just curious here, why do you need Google Chrome & Chromium? They're the one & same, with a different look. If you want them both, fine, I just don't see the reasoning, maybe it's me missing out. Does Chromium do something that Google Chrome doesn't? If so, please tell us, I don't want to be missing out on something big.  :)

It's my hope that you don't have troubles, but I believe it's safe to state by now, you know how to install Mint 17? It's just that next time, you want to format. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 July 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

No I did not fix that Cat, I did not want to Log-in each time, is that not okay, it can be changed anyhow right.

Okay did the firewall but another question I don't know how to answer in terminal below.

Screenshot-Terminal_zps0cff561a.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,877 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Interesting that I was only using 4.00kib for the Swap and now I am using 200.00kib, I wonder why this is?  I thought I would post this also.

Everything seems to be working good so far.

A few questions if you guys don't mind:

1.  I was also wondering why we don't have a "/home" as I have seen in some installs?

2.  Why are the partitions not numbered in order?

3.  If someone would want to put a partition in for maybe a triple boot could it be sandwiched in to the appropriate spot or would the swap have to be deleted and reinstalled?

Good night guys.

Screenshot--dev-sda-GParted_zps7643aa80.

Edited by pcpunk, 15 July 2014 - 12:01 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

No I did not fix that Cat, I did not want to Log-in each time, is that not okay, it can be changed anyhow right.

Okay did the firewall but another question I don't know how to answer in terminal below.

Screenshot-Terminal_zps0cff561a.png

Answer with a capital Y & then Enter. This installs the package maintainer's version.

Swap is fine. 200KiB is about 1/5th of 1MB, barely used. You have nearly 1GB for swap, don't worry. 

Be sure to reboot your computer after updating. And also check out XP too, to make sure all is working. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 15 July 2014 - 12:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users