Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wouldn't TCPView use be visible to hacker ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Enquirydude

Enquirydude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Dear “TCBView Tech Advice” or whoever, [ Mon 14:7:14 ]
I have read the article :
“By Lawrence Abrams on March 1, 2005 | Last Updated: February 22, 2013 | Read 279,119 times.” –

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tracing-a-hacker/

[1] Now while it was very enlightening for a complete novice to this issue, and forgive therefore any
    ignorance on my behalf, - but it seems to possess 1 gigantic logical hole, namely : As soon as you
    launch TCPView, won’t whoever is remotely seeing what you’re doing on your computer also see
    TCPView, and simply close down/switch off their spyware, - so they’re not there to be seen anymore?
    Moreover, they would have to persist upon our computer while we do the next steps described by the
    article, namely the use of GeoIPTooland then “Traceroute” - this latter 1 which we’re informed, may
    take up to 15 mins. So to actually end up getting caught, wouldn’t somebody spying need to be either:
[1] Dying to get caught, OR [2] Super stupid ?

[2] I’m on Windows 8.0 Within “Task Manager” I had discovered “Resource Monitor”. Within that, looking under
       “Network” I see graphs to the right for: “Network”, “TCP”, “Local Area Connection*11”, “Ethernet” and “WiFi”.
    Now my question is this, - with my network adpter/WiFi or whatever it’s called card switched off VIA THE
    EXTERNAL BUTTON and indicated so via the in-button light having gone off accordingly, - should I EVER see
    ANY activity on any of those graphs ?

[3] Is it possible for the card to be turned ON – WITHOUT, it’s in-button light coming ON ?

Edit: Moved topic from Edit: Moved topic from to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

There are remote terminal programs Micosoft RDP, Teamviewer, Ultra VNC etc. They only take control of the system once you allow the connection. You can terminate the connection any time. I suppose it's possible for a hacker to have a some kind of backdoor like this, but from a hackers standpoint it defeats the purpose of going unnoticed. A large remote program running like that while you was on it would sap the system resources and the gig would be up. Now if remote desktop is enabled and they know your login then while the system is on they could remote into it at any time. It would kick you out of windows. The person remoting in would not know if the user was on or if the machine was on standby and unattended. Typically a hacker backdoor will be discreet and they would be doing everything through console. Again first you have to have the backdoor on your system. Usually any remote shell backdoor is detected by the virus scanner. If the virus scanner is worth anything. As far as using your wifi question. Once toggled off they cannot turn it on. However, if it's a keyboard toggle such as a FN+9 key or something, it's possible that the hacker could enable a wifi turned off by sending a key function to the system through the terminal. Again, to remember a hacker isn't going to have a visual picture of what's going on typically his side is nothing more than a terminal. They can access files, shares, execute, move, delete anything pretty much. Take a picture of you if there is a camera. Futher his abilities by keylogging your input. All this could go for a while not detected especially on a faster computer. Back in the day of single cpu computers things like this was more noticeable as the system ran sluggish.

Edited by technonymous, 15 July 2014 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users