Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 2311x Monitor Gfx card compatibility issue?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fuzbuzz00

fuzbuzz00

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hello all. This is my first post, so pardon if it's in a wrong section or something.

My PC is custom built; here are the stats:

Intel i5 2500k unlocked processor 3.3 Ghz

EVGA Geforce Gtx 550 Ti

Cooler Master Gx 650W PSU

2x Corsair XMS3 4GB RAM sticks (8 total)

OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD primary hard drive

Western Digital  Caviar Black 750 GB secondary hard drive

I have the following monitors attached to the Gfx card:

Acer s230HL 23 in

HP 2311x 24 in

Anyway I just moved my computer rig to a new apartment, hooked it up more or less like it was before, and for the most part it worked, except every so often, usually when watching a youtube video, my computer would freeze. The manner of it freezing was bizarre though. The computer didn't blue screen or even completely lock up. Rather, I could identify the audio from the video I was watching was still playing at 10x slower speed so it sounded like my computer was possessed. After a few minutes, however, my computer would start working again, and aside from a temporary disconnection from the internet, it was a-okay. But it was really annoying, so I decided to diagnose. After browsing a few forums, I noticed that after each of these freeze-ups, my CPU (Intel i5 2500k) showed 100% usage on all 4 cores for a brief spike, and the resource monitor showed that the cause of the spike was whatever application was running video (the freeze happened in chrome.exe, vlc.exe, and sometimes in games I was playing). 

I thought that I messed up some hardware while transporting my rig, so I opened up my computer, dusted all the parts, disconnected and reconnected the gfx card, sound card, and cpu cooling fan, and even bought some thermal paste. I then updated drivers, bios, changed hardware acceleration options. After each of these steps I checked the computer and the same problem persisted. What was odd was that I couldn't trigger the problem on command, it happened whenever it felt like it, and lasted for as long as it felt like. Sometimes it was 5-10 seconds, and sometimes up to 4 minutes. I finally decided to check the monitors, and the HP turned out to be the culprit. After making sure it wasn't the dual display setup (I tested each monitor by itself) I figured that the HP monitor was causing the freezing. But I don't know why. It wasn't the DVI cable I had running to it either as I had switched the cables between the monitors.

So my question is this. How is this monitor causing my Gfx card to force the cpu usage to 100%? I'm certain it's not a compatibility issue since I have been using that monitor for years, and this problem only started after I moved. Could it be that I broke something inside the monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fuzbuzz00

fuzbuzz00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Update. It actually was not my monitor. A freeze up happened just now (after several hours of being functional). My HP monitor is not plugged in. Will continue to troubleshoot. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears

EDIT: After some thought, the last freeze up had the audio of the video I was watching still going at full speed (albeit with a bit of scratchy interference). It went for as long as the video had loaded (a little over a minute) then stopped. So it was different than all the other freezes in that sense, but it was still while watching a video, and still resumed functionality afterward

Edited by fuzbuzz00, 14 July 2014 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users