Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Home SP3 with major virus/malware infection and needs cleaned off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

A friend of mine has brought me thier computer to try and restore it to a working order.  It is totally infected with so much crap that it will not respond to simple inputs like trying to open the Task Manager or when opening the Add/Remove Programs it will not allow me to uninstall any programs.  I have gone through the Services on the computer in Safe Mode and Normal Mode and I can't even change any services to disable or enable them.

Here are some details on the computer:

Dell Inspiron 8500
WinXP SP 3 Home Edition Version 2002
4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
1.99 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

When I start the computer, a program called "Windows Efficiency Kit" immediately starts and will not allow the desktop to load until I close the program.  Once I close that program, about every 3-5 minutes, a pop up from that program stating that there is either a virus, a registry infection, an IP intrusion (not connected to any wireless) or a slew of other notices, and the program asks for activation before it will clean or protect the computer.  If I try to find this program on the list of installed programs, it is no there or is there any file located in the Program Files or any other locations.

Is there anything I can do to reformat this computer without an XP recovery disk?  I have tried to restore the computer to an earlier date, but the date I could restore it to was only a couple of months ago and made no difference once it finished.  What other options are there for this computer other than setting it on fire and walking away?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your desktop.

• Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please attach the JRT log.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.     

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

If the Dell has a factory restore partition. it can usually be access by holding Ctrl and tapping the F11 key at boot. This would send it back to a factory state and all programs added and personal data would be erased.

Does Disk Management show a Recovery Partition?

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Also in conjunction with my last set of instructions. 

I suggest that you download CCLEANER then run it, hit the option's button then settings,put a tick next to Run Ccleaner when the computer starts.
Also when in options go to advanced tab and put a tick next to close program after cleaning.
This will automate the temporary file removal on your machine and keep it speedy.
Disable all of the start ups on the machine except your antivirus.
To disable hit the tools button then the start up button,then disable.     

Awaiting the three requested logs. :)

#5 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

NVM, I found this here and it is exactly what I'm dealing with...  working on removing now.  Thanks for your replies but I think this is going to fix it...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-efficiency-kit

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Ok, if you wish please come back to this  thread and we can clean and speed the machine up a bit. :)

#7 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

will do...  I've never experienced a program as frustrating as this "Windows Efficiency Kit" before and I've been pulling my hair out trying all my usual troubleshooting and diagnostic tricks.  Now that I know what I'm dealing with, it should be easy to get rid of this and try to get this ancient laptop working properly again.  My friend will be very happy to have this piece of heavy machinery back in working order and hopefully will stop clicking on random links that cause these issues in the first place.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Here is a great antivirus. Works great and really low on system resources.

http://360safe.com/totalsecurity.html

Also install this on the machine.

http://unchecky.com/

Come back to this thread when you are able. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users