Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Interface And Sata Drive Diagnostics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Liz1

Liz1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

My son had a problem with his hard drive at college, and it was replaced. However, he'd like to see if he can get files off it. I don't have a computer that will take a SATA drive, so that I could run diagnostics on it as an internal drive. I can connect it to my laptop with a USB interface on an external hard drive container. However, I can't figure out how to run Spinrite on it. (The laptop sees the drive, but it won't initialize it so that I can see the files or run diagnostics.) It's a Seagate, and I tried their utilities, but the on-line one that's supposed to work with a USB connection crashed Internet Explorer whenever I tried it. Seagate's tech support e-mailed me in response to my question and said that they don't support SATA drives in third party enclosures. I understand there may be a way of adding a Dos driver so that I can run Spinrite from a boot disk and get to that drive and have it run. (Spinrite says the best thing is to mount the drive internally, but I can't do that.) Anyone have the files I need for running Spinrite or Seagate utilities on an external SATA drive? Any suggestions of other utilities that would work? It's very frustrating, and I'd appreciate any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

The only thing I can think of is to use a PCI Serial ATA Host Controller Card which can be bought for $12.99 at newegg.com or numerous other places.

Then you can hook it up internally.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=15-124-006

By the way, Seagate drives come with a 5 year warranty and they do have a service to reclaim data from the failed drive (although I do not know if that is covered under warranty or not).

If you do get it installed here is the Seagate Serial ATA (SATA) online Troubleshooter
http://www.seagate.com/support/ts/sata/index.html

And, here's the information about the five year warranty
http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 30 May 2006 - 07:13 PM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hi Liz1
You have a few obstacals you would need to overcome trying to read an external SATA drive in a usb caddy using only a notebook and DOS.

1. You need DOS drivers for USB. They are flaky at best and sometimes chipset specific.
2. If the drives are NTFS, you would need a utility like NTFSDOS. (DOS cannot natively read an NTFS partition)
3. You would need to create a bootable cd including these drivers, utility and spinrite all on one disc.
4. If the drive itself is physicly damaged enough to where it wont spin-up or the read-head is toast, you won't get anything from it anyways.

Your best bet is to install the drive in a desktop that either supports SATA or use a PCI card in a desktop as Enthusiast has suggested.

Edited by HitSquad, 31 May 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Liz1

Liz1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thanks to you both. WIth a SATA card, is the drive treated as internal, even if it's attached externally? (I'm trying to deal with it in a laptop.) I did get it replaced by the computer manufacturer. I guess I'll just have to wait until parents' week-end and load it internally then to see if any data is salvagable. At least now I know not to waste more time on it.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

Something like the item on the link may enable you to connect to a laptop:
Cardbus to SATA IDE Adapter
http://www.cooldrives.com/moseata2poca.html

Or this one from Newegg
SUNIX CBSA20 Serial ATA PCMCIA Card - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16815161011R

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 May 2006 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users