Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from XP and Office 2000 questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

I want to upgrade from XP.  Should I choose Windows 7 or 8?  I've read that there are quite a few problems with Windows 8.  Should I get the 32 bit or 64 bit version?  Is the SP 1 version of 7 the only one available right now?  I only use my computer for keeping records in Word documents, surfing the internet, and watching Youtube videos.  I am currently using MS Office 2000 version.  Should I upgrade to the current Office or Word version?  Since the only program I use from Office is Word should I just upgrade Word?  Old Office versions are vulnerable to malware from what I understand.  I think I have seen free Office downloads on some sites.  Is the current version of Office available as a free download anywhere?  Who has the best price for Office and Windows 7 or 8 right now?  Thanks for any replies.   

My computer specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS, Intel G41 Socket 775 

O/S: XP Home 32 Bit, SP3, version 2002

RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3, 1333 MT/S

CPU: Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200, 1.6 GHz, 512K, 800 MHz, OEM, Advanced

Intel G41 Express Chipset

Performance Series, Allendale, socket 775

PSU: Power Up 450 Watt ATX

HD: WD Caviar SE, 320G, IDE

Monitor: Samsung 2032NW, SyncMaster, 5ms, 3000:1, Dynamic Contrast, 20”

DVD burner: Memorex multi format, double layer

CPU fan:Ultra X Wind, aluminum socket

Case: from an old Compaq Presario 

MS Office 2000

Edited by 333nnn, 13 July 2014 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

[personal opinion]

I would upgrade to W7, either x32 0r x64. In your case most likely x32. I think your current version of Office will run under w7. If you want to upgrade that you will have to shop around. Use only a reliable vendor as there are those who will sell you a less than viable product. Free from MS is very hard to find.

Also, be sure you have a good security suite installed and current. No recommendation, there are several good free products available.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

In my opinion, you should upgrade to Windows 8 (32 bit because of your processor).  Although you hear a lot of negative things about WIN8, I've been on it for 6+ months, and although there a few annoyances, I've got use to it, overall.  The only thing you might want to get is StarDock's Start 8; this returns the start menu that everyone likes, well most.  Also, you need to get rid off your Office 2000.  Patches ended 5 years ago tomorrow, or 2009_07_14.  I suggest LibreOffice, and for e-mail, Thunderbird.

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Microsoft discontinued extended support for Office 2000 July 14, 2009 Office XP July 12, 2011. On the same day as they discontinued support for Windows XP they discontinued Office 2003.

My advice would be to run the upgrade advisors I have offered you links to before considering an upgrade. Please make sure that you have all hardware and software installed that you plan to use with either O/S you are considering.

For Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

For Windows 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

#5 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

I ran the upgrade advisor for W8 and got these results:

1. "Install and app to play DVDs." 

2. "Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC.  Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8"

Even if these two results are not a problem, considering my computer's specs can it run W8 optimally? 

I downloaded LibreOffice and created a document.  It takes a long time for the document to open.  If LIbreOffice is that slow then I'll just buy the newest version of Word.  If I decide to use LibreOffice how do I convert my Word documents to LIbreOffice documents?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users