Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying the best RAM for my PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hello, Im trying to find the best RAM, or get the best RAM setup for my EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758-A1) motherboard. I currntly have 6gb (3 2gb sticks) of ram. Its just not enough for win 8.1, games, and software. Im expericening a lot of lagging and programs not reponding. Would buying 2 sticks of 8gb which would give me 24gb ram solve the lagging issues that i have? Would that type of setup work with mymotherboard ?

ram_zpsdfd1b840.jpg

Edited by wjason777, 13 July 2014 - 05:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'd suggest having a look at page 20 of your motherboard manual, which is online here.

According to the manual, it supports up to 4Gb DIMMs (not 8Gb DIMMs).  Therefore, the only way to have the maximum 24Gb that the board supports would be to fill it with 6 x 4Gb modules.  The most you could fit without replacing your existing memory would be 18Gb.  I've got no personal experience of X58 boards, but my hunch is that as you have a tri-channel memory setup, you would probably need to add 3 more DIMMs rather than 2, to maximise the chance of it working.

For best compatibility, it's always recommended to fit matching DIMMs.  Mixing different brands and/or speeds of memory in a computer can cause unpredictable results.

Crucial offer a compatibility guarantee which might be useful.

On to the main point, which is whether adding more memory would fix your freezing issues, it's just impossible to say without further information.  Perhaps your system has other problems?  Too many startup items running, junkware, malware, or hardware problems like overheating or a failing hard drive could easily cause the computer to be unresponsive. IME 8Gb is comfortably enough for Windows 8.1 for everything I want to run, so I'd imagine 6Gb should be enough for most uses.  To be honest, I can think of no "ordinary" use that would need 24Gb!  Your Resource Monitor on the screenshot above does not indicate it's run out of memory. "Standby" means cached memory, which is one of the things Windows memory management service does to try to improve performance.  This memory can be made available for use by programs if needed.

If you can post a Speccy snapshot (using this guide) this will give us some more information to work with.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Back in 2011, my MSI notebook shipped with 6GB RAM, it ran great! The sole (& only) reason that I upgraded to 8GB, was that in late 2011, Newegg was selling 8GB sets (4GB x2) for $30. And I wanted to stuff it to the max. However the truth is, the notebook has barely broken the 5GB mark & that was when running a virtual machine, with 2.5GB lent to it. So my main OS was running on 2.5GB, about where it normally runs. And no, the 2 extra GB didn't make it one bit faster, because I wasn't using what I had to begin with. 

The RAM suppliers realized what was going on & cut back production, leading to less inventory, the end result being higher pricing. Because last year, I needed the same exact set for a Toshiba that was given to me & paid $72 for it, that was with a $10 promo code. It would be great if pricing bottomed again, as I have a Dell in my specs below that will run 32GB. However it would be for bragging rights only, as I've not used half of the 12GB installed. 

Like jonuk76 points out, I feel that you have something else going on. You'd have to be doing a lot to be tapping out of RAM with 6GB. Seriously, a whole lot of resource intensive work. 

We need that Speccy shot to have something to start with. That way, we're not grasping at straws & if you do need a component, can help to identify it. 

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:06 AM

Yes, I agree with the two guys above. This is most likely not a RAM deficiency issue. Is your OS bloated with software or PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs)? This could turn out as a OS issue rather than hardware.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Thanks guys for all of your replies. I really so appreciate the great responses. However I left for work last night and I will be away until Thursdays night. I could get you that speccy shot as soon as I get back.

#6 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

ok im back now here is the speccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Hv2raKGayNcMnpVPgISF1dO

#7 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

If you have a ATI Radeon HD 7900, why do you have NVIDIA display drivers installed?

Edited by Ezzah, 18 July 2014 - 01:21 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

out of 6gb you have 3.5gb in use and 2.5gb available. you are still in a comfort zone but i can understand the desire to add more capacity.  it spooked me also back when i only had the 6gb in my x58 MoBo and my idle usage was around 2gb with about 70 processes. but looking back, there was no need for concern really as i have really tried to max out my ram usage and the most i could ever get up to was 4.5 gb usage.

if you pull up your task manager, you can get a reading of your mem usage and processes that is using the ram in order from most to least.  just go to processes tab  and click on mem usage to check into it.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

If you have a ATI Radeon HD 7900, why do you have NVIDIA display drivers installed?

I have nvidia drivers installed because before i got the radeon i had a  GTX 245.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

I have nvidia drivers installed because before i got the radeon i had a  GTX 245.

If you have no intentions on using this card again, it may do good to clean up these old drivers. 

In fact clean up anything you're not using, such as old software no longer needed, with Revo Uninstaller (Free version). You can download the portable version if you like & store it to a Flash drive to use at anytime, on any computer. 

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

The Free version is 1.95, so is the Portable one, under "Other Downloads"

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 July 2014 - 10:50 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Yeye, conflicting drives can cause issues, so I would most strongly recommend to move them first, along with other NVIDIA software, as it is certainly no longer required.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users