Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

used windows 8 computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

I just got my used windows 8 computer which I was going to dual boot with Mint, Zorin, AVlinux, and Pinguy.  I'm having a lot of problems getting the os to work. Unfortunately it is UEFI bios, I think.  I had a thread in windows 8   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540804/wont-let-me-boot-from-dvd/   .  If I totally erase the disk and install Mint, Will I be able to boot as the computer tells me it only has the windows bootloader.   However at one time I got into the bios and put both boot from dvd and usb ahead of windows.  I can't get gparted to boot, and it will on other computers.  I've used it a few times on the one I'm normally on.  I didn't get a recovery disk with the computer, told it was preinstalled.  So if I write over windows, it's final.  Laptop was brand new and had it's first programs installed on Dec 27 2013, so the computer is only about a year and a half old.  500gb, 2.2 gh pentium processor, and 4 gb ram.  Seems awful slow compard to my old machine I have Zorin and robolinux on now.  I'm hoping to set this laptop up per  http://conservativeread.com/how-to-replace-windows-xp-with-linux-for-free/  in the cheesemaker thread, then my desktop.  I can move all my files from the desktop to the laptop, then after I configure the desktop copy them move them back, and have them on both.  Question remains, With UEFI on the computer, is mint compatible, and will it boot so I can use gparted and do all the partitions and install the others?  And I guess how hard will it be to get a home partition to work with mint that way?  Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

With UEFI on the computer, is mint compatible, and will it boot so I can use gparted and do all the partitions and install the others?

Yes all you need to do is turn off secureboot.

Linux General UEFI install Info (not for Macs)

I'm hoping to set this laptop up per  http://conservativeread.com/how-to-replace-windows-xp-with-linux-for-free/  in the cheesemaker thread, then my desktop.

That should work ok.

If you need any help feel free to ask. If you are not sure of something, Stop and ask. Remember this. There are no stupid questions only stupid mistakes.

Edited by NickAu1, 13 July 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

The mint dvd will boot,  Gparted, Zorin,  and robolinuxrobolinux  will not.  I've tapped f10 til I was blue in the face,  and I couldn't get in to change the secure boot.  F8 doesn't work either, as Scotty told me in the windows 8 forum.  It's booted to mint twice, and not once.  Windows finally said it repaired itself (I doubt it) so I'm getting ready to install mint now, and hope it works, and I do it right.  Maybe I should read over the tutorial again, I did this morning.  Hopefully after I get it installed, I can the others I want, and gparted to run so I can get the partitions like I want them.  I'm reading that link you sent now.  And I seem to make a lot of stupid mistakes.   Thought I sent this about 10 minutes ago.  I must be having a senior moment.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users