Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 1501 will not power on - Need Help Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amodoko

amodoko

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hi, a friend of mine has a Dell Inspiron 1501 that stopped working on him one day. He asked me if I could try to fix it for him in my spare time and so I told him I would try (I'm not great with computers though).

When he gave it to me I just charged it for a few days and then powered it on, and I noticed that the light indicators would go on. I could open and close the DVD drive with the button, it had some other lights on, so I thought maybe the screen went out. I then kind of forgot about the laptop, left it for a month, came back to it again to just make sure that it needed a new screen, and so I charged it for a few days, and now it won't power on at all.

When I plug in the AC adapter, the AC adapter lights up, and the Battery indicator on the laptop lights up. Then after a few seconds the Battery indicator light starts to blink. Then when I come back a day later, the battery indicator light is not lighting up or blinking at all.

I googled Inspiron 1501 issues online and it seems that Inspiron 1501s have issues like this a lot. I don't know how to get it to power on like I did a few months ago. And on top of that, I don't know if it needs a new screen. I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with it so I can figure out if I need to buy another identical laptop online for parts and then what parts need to be swapped out.

I'm kind of just doing this for fun, so I'm planning on getting it running and will update this thread as I receive help here to let people know what works and what doesn't. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Welcome,

Have you tried booting with the battery out and the AC plugged in? That should get you past a dead battery problem. We'll go to step two if that works.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi!  Yep, I tried booting it up without the battery and just on the AC plugged in and it won't start.  What do you think the next step should be?  Thanks for your help:)

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

It sounds like the power module might be dead.

The next step - a trusted technician, to see if it can be fixed for less than a replacement or a trusted salesperson to get only what you really need.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Yep, I agree.  It seems like this model has this problem a lot.  There are guides for it online. I told my friend (he owns the laptop) that I would attempt to fix it if he wanted and he decided due to how cheap this current laptop is now (it's only $80 to buy this laptop in working condition on ebay) he would rather just sell it for parts and put that towards a new laptop.  If he changes his mind, I don't mind doing it for him since I would like to learn how to solder.  Thanks for the help though:)  Much appreciated:)

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like a plan

Just and FYI, not much soldering to be done inside a laptop. If you do, be VERY careful. The heat can cook things quickly

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#7 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Thanks a bunch!  I appreciate the help:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users