Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing bootmgr

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davedgb

davedgb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

i have a compaq presaro cq60 laptop and i removed a hard drive from another cq60 laptop and put in my computer cq60. when i cut the computer on i get the message missing bootmgr.thew hard drive is good but what i'm wondering is  is there a way to boot the computer to the recovery particition and restore the computer. the f11 key doesn't bring up the recovery console. i've downloadedn so called recovery disk from the internet but when it ask to load drivers for the hard drive i don't know where they are. almost forgot its vista any help will be grealtly appreciated.

Edited by davedgb, 13 July 2014 - 02:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Unfortunately there is a problem with taking a hdd that has had a Windows operating system installed on one computer and then installing it on another computer.  Windows recognizes certain identifiers from the motherboard chipset.  When you start Windows it recognizes the identifiers and start the operating system.  When you connect the hdd with another motherboard Windows will see the identifiers, when it goes to start it see the different identifiers and basically becomes confused and may not boot at all.  If it does there is a very good chance that the operating system will eventually become inoperable because of the damage to the operating system.

In the future you should run sysprep prior to moving a hdd from one computer to another.

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.
Note: You'll want to install matching chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.. after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users